Windows 10 start button and other controls have gone

jeffowen

I have a clean install of W10 pro on my Acer 64 bit pc. The system has been working fine until this morning when my taskbar started failing including the total failure of the Windows start button. Even the Windows key does nothing.
On this forum I see this is a fairly common problem that seems to have several different answers. I do run Avast free virus checker as far as I know nothing new has happened recently. I have tried restarting the pc but the problem seems to persist.
I am not in a position to reload the OS, surely there is a fix that I can implement. Please help.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I've seen this before. I'd recommend doing a clean install. Otherwise just install ClassicShell.

jeffowen

Looks like I am going to have to wait until MS gets it's act together, hopefully on Aug 2nd. Can't wait!

In the meantime I have updated Avast free and this included Javascript (something I had deleated) and now on reboot things seem back to normal.

I had, very reluctantly, upgraded from W7 pro 64bit and initially all seemed well until I lost my admin rights and control of most of my programs! After a lot of very frustating effort I took my pc to the local repair shop who did a clean W10 install. This has (up until today) been reasonably satisfactory with only needing to be restarted 3 or 4 times a week ( my old W7 pc never needed restarting in the 3 years I had it). I do hope that MS gets this build sorted because so far it is far from satisfactory. My wife is still running on W7 pro and I have recommended that she stays on it!

Darren

Staff member
Out of curiosity, what do you have against restarting your computer? Generally it's a good idea to power cycle them on a semi regular basis, particularly with how W10 updates work.

jeffowen

I do switch off my pc every night as a matter of routine. What I meant to say was that I never needed to reboot (restart) my W7 pc to clear a problem. It's just that since using W10 I seem to be regularly having to reboot because of an issue, it does not seem to be as stable as W7.