Windows 10 time always resets

Kataklysmic

I've been having an issue with my Windows time resetting itself for a few months now. Windows Time in Services is set to automatic and my time server is set to time.windows.com. If I go in to adjust the date/time settings in the system tray, I can slide the "Set time automatically" bar to off, then back on again and it will correct itself, but this only lasts while the computer is turned on, and sometimes even while it's running, it will lose time again. I'm not sure if this could potentially be the CMOS battery but I figured if it was I'd have issues with other settings as well, and this is the only one giving me problems. Can anyone help with this?

beers

Staff member
How old is the PC? CMOS batteries usually last a few years but one of the symptoms of a failed one is the date resetting when the computer is either off or unplugged.

What specific time does it go back to?

Kataklysmic

To my knowledge, there is no specific time it goes to...it's pretty random. I just wasn't sure if it might be the CMOS because the time was the only setting, but I'll definitely replace it...thank you.

Darren

Staff member
To my knowledge, there is no specific time it goes to...it's pretty random. I just wasn't sure if it might be the CMOS because the time was the only setting, but I'll definitely replace it...thank you.
It's a cheap and easy fix and more than likely your issue so definitely the first place I'd start. :)

Jiniix

Windows 10 can be pretty stupid regarding time zones and such. If replacing the battery doesn't work:
In the old control panel go to Clock, Languange, and Region. Check your settings under Region and Language, preferably not automatic settings.
Note that changing any of these settings can default the others, so triple check everything :)

HackSpoon

I never seen too many problems with the Windows 10 time/date feature. But as said above replace CMOS or before you get a new one take it out, and wait 10 seconds and then put it back in.