Windows 10 update interupted by power loss now doesnt boot (black screen)

DRsmorn

Hello everyone so im having a problem i was updating my computer and the power went out so the pc restarted and after the asus logo for the motherboard widows doesnt boot its just a black screen. I tried booting the windows media creator tool from the usb but it doesnt work if it just displays the windows logo and the loading thing then it just boots from the ssd again because i see the light for the disk usage turns on. I can only get to open the media creator tool if i disconect the ssd but then i cant repair or format it because it doesnt detect it. Is there a way i could format the ssd (i also have a secondary hdd for games and stuff) from the bios or something. I mean i wanted to connect it to another pc and copy the files over to an external drive and then format the ssd an instal windows again and then copy some of the files over can someone help im out of ideas i have been messing aroun now for two days but no luck thanks for the reply.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the ssd took a hit. You can attach the ssd to another system and see if you can access it to copy files over.

DRsmorn

Sounds like the ssd took a hit. You can attach the ssd to another system and see if you can access it to copy files over.
Thanks for the reply, I tried putting the ssd to another pc but when i start up the pc it just displays the windows logo and the loading circle should i wait a bit longer i dont know if its trying to boot from my ssd or from the other sistems disk im the boot comand the first boot option is the other sistems drive. Im looking if i can get a sata to usb adapter and copy the files over because in that case i dont need to have the ssd attached from the start i can just plug it in like a usb will that work?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can get an adapter as well. Not sure if it will make any difference though. If the drive is too far gone, the system won't recognize it anyway.

DRsmorn

You can get an adapter as well. Not sure if it will make any difference though. If the drive is too far gone, the system won't recognize it anyway.
Yes i am going to get an adapter but what if it doesnt recognize it what do i do then is the ssd worthless?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much. All depends if you can get a system to recognize it. Some machines are more temperamental then others.

DRsmorn

Pretty much. All depends if you can get a system to recognize it. Some machines are more temperamental then others.
But if i get the files off the ssd format it and then instal windows how do i get all my programs and stuff to the new windows do you just paste the files?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll only be able to copy personal files, game backups. Programs would have to be reinstalled unfortunately.

DRsmorn

So i got the externl usb port and now another problem occurs when i click on the disk to open it it says "D:\ is not accesible. The parameter is incorrect." and the drive disconnects please tell me this ssd ist gone literaly it just lost power during an update and now its fu***k can you help me.

Deadpool

So i got the externl usb port and now another problem occurs when i click on the disk to open it it says "D:\ is not accesible. The parameter is incorrect." and the drive disconnects please tell me this ssd ist gone literaly it just lost power during an update and now its fu***k can you help me.

There is software you can use to recover personal files and then format the drive. You can use something like Data Recovery Wizard. Try it and see if it works. You will have to connect the drive to a working PC, then use the software.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
But if the drive is inaccessible to where nothing will read it then it's not gonna work. See if recuva can pull any files off the drive. Gonna be iffy cause it sounds like partition table might be screwed.

Deadpool

But if the drive is inaccessible to where nothing will read it then it's not gonna work. See if recuva can pull any files off the drive. Gonna be iffy cause it sounds like partition table might be screwed.

That is what the software is for. If the drive is damaged or not recognized, you still can recover data, sometimes.

DRsmorn

There is software you can use to recover personal files and then format the drive. You can use something like Data Recovery Wizard. Try it and see if it works. You will have to connect the drive to a working PC, then use the software.
That is what the software is for. If the drive is damaged or not recognized, you still can recover data, sometimes.
Thanks for helping but the problem is that the ssd disconnects after 15-30 seconds and the note pops up on the left "the device didnt run correctly so windows doesnt recognize it" its something like that i dont know could the ssd be realy dead? I mean i does show it as a connected disk D but then it disconnects it. Oh i did just open it there is nothing inside but then when i tried formating it disconnected i cant open it no more tho.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i dont know could the ssd be realy dead?
Happens more often then you think. If the data is really important then try taking it in to have someone recover data for you. If not, toss it in the garbage and buy a new one.

DRsmorn

Happens more often then you think. If the data is really important then try taking it in to have someone recover data for you. If not, toss it in the garbage and buy a new one.
The data isnt really important to me but i didnt think this would happen. Yeah i think im just going to buy a new one and deal with this one sometime later because this is realy frustrating i just want to use my computer and dont have my windows on a shit disk that takes 10 years to boot. Thanks for the help maybe there is a solution but i dont want to deal with it anymore.

DRsmorn

Since you already had windows 10 installed all you need to do is download the iso file to either usb or dvd and install it. It will auto activate when it gets to the desktop.

Download windows 10 here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the tool and tell it to either make a usb drive or an iso file so you can burn it to a dvd.
Yeah i know that, i was reading other post about ssds dying i looked up the kingston 120gb that i have and every time one died it wasnt showing up in the bios so i dont know maybe there is still hope if i get it to work im gonna have another ssd whitch is great but i was planing on geting one with more space so now is the opportunity to get a 250gb one.