Windows 10 Update messed up Network printer sharing

Bertminator

I have a NON-wifi printer that is connected via USB on one of my Desktop computers.

Before September I could share this printer to my other network computers (4 laptops and a 2nd Desktop). Ever since the September update, I can no longer share my printer.

I've tried searching for the printer via Shared network name AND even using the 192.168.---.--- IP address. It shows on the list, but when I click next I get an error (see attached screenshot).

I've UNINSTALLED the security update that messed everything up as well as all the other post-September updates, but TILL cannot print from my other computer / laptops. I've read many google solutions and even the one's from Microsoft. NOTHING WORKS. Please help! I'm so upset at MS for messing this all up.

Attachments

• Printer Error.JPG
    Printer Error.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 7

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to wait until MS fixes it, but I thought they applied a fix for it already. Eventually you'll want to move into the 21st century and buy a wireless printer.

Bertminator

You will have to wait until MS fixes it, but I thought they applied a fix for it already. Eventually you'll want to move into the 21st century and buy a wireless printer.
MS fix = more broken than before. My printer works fine, no need to waste money on another printer just for wireless capability.

This is a known issue since the KB5006670 update in october, but there are a few things you can try
Per the known issues documentation in the offending update, some of the printing problems have been fixed in the latest update

If you havn't already, ensure that your pc has the latest updates from microsoft as there have been some fixes already issued

Another thing you could try is to see if the printer spooler service is running
go to 'start' type 'run" and type services.msc
If it's status is stopped or disabled, re-enable it

Finally if that doesn't work (or if it is already running), reinstall your printer drivers
Preferably from the manufacturer website, sometimes they will have an update listed