Windows 2k3 AD Help

Hellbreather

Hey Guys,

So Im a total networking dummy,
So heres basically what I've done.

• Installed Windows Server 2003 on one PC
  • Installed Windows XP Professional on one PC
  • Connected the two together using a crossover cable and thier NIC cards.
  • Created an Active Directory, Domain, Domain Controller & DNS Server (I hope)
  • When I try to enter in the Domain name on my XP Pro computer, it tells me it cant contact a domain controller

So I hope you guys can shed some light on my suitation, probably something really dumb but there we go.
Thanks.
Hellbreather.

Camper

You need to make sure your IP's are correctly set and make sure on the XP computer you set the Win 2K3 server as your primary DNS.

Can you ping the server?

SirKenin

banned
If you don't have DHCP, which you would have said you had it if you did, then you have to have the IP manually entered in both, on the same subnet. Then you have to point your primary DNS to your server IP.

Example: 192.168.0.10 -> Server 192.168.0.15 -> XP Primary DNS on XP -> 192.168.0.10

Hellbreather

Ok so if I run ipconfig /all on the xp computer it doesnt come up with Local Area Connection as usual. Which must mean I don't have my LAN set up properly. I presumed it was.

In network connections on the xp computer I have something called "1394 Connection" I figured that was my hardwares way of saying LAN.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ok so if I run ipconfig /all on the xp computer it doesnt come up with Local Area Connection as usual. Which must mean I don't have my LAN set up properly. I presumed it was.

In network connections on the xp computer I have something called "1394 Connection" I figured that was my hardwares way of saying LAN.

This is what SirKenin was explaining to you. If your AD server is dishing out DHCP then your client machine would automatically be on the same subnets as your server. Also, you need to bind the client to the AD server, add in network users and set up groups for them.

I would suggest you just pick up a MCSE book on AD and start from there. Also, get yourself a switch, they are cheap these days. Also, most modern NICs do not need a cross over cable, most of them auto sense the connection and flip it based on the connection.

You can authenticate over different subnets, but that is more complicated than you want to get into at this point in time.

Camper

If it's not not showing any information about it local area connection then the drivers for your NIC may not be installed or your NIC is not working.