Windows 7 Aero not working on Dell Deminsion 4600

Fireguns

i went and deleted my windows xp on my hard drive but my computer can not get aero working i tried watching videos online how to fix it and not working and many people have the same problem that i have with the same computer and none of them could get it fixed only one person did by buying a new graphics card and i do not have the money to do that right now and my graphics card is a intel 865G graphics card family and windows 7 is just not windows 7 with out it so can some one please help me

Havoc

Unless you can find the right driver, then the only way to have Aero is with a new card..
But you can get a program called AVG optimizer, in this program it has a theme styler which you can change your taskbar colors...Also Tuneup 2012/2013 will work..

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do believe there is a way to "Force" aero on...but doing this i bet the system would become very very slugish.
your system is quite dated,It doesn't have a dedicated Graphics card,Only Integrated.

The only thing would be to pick up a cheap used AGP card on Ebay,The problem is though your system only has a 250W Power supply so you have to watch what card your putting in.

I know AERO worked on Windows 7 with my a ATI 9600 Pro 256mb.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Only works if you have a graphics card which is strong enough to run it. Integrated graphics on older computer cannot run it, sorry.

Fireguns

i know my computer is made in 2004 and the graphics card is in the motherboard and i can't get aero working and there is no way of forcing it so i will just save up my money and buy a new graphics card that is pci compatible i will maby find one at bookmans for 15 bucks so i was just seeing if it was possible to run it on my card which it doesn't so thanks for letting me know guys.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the requirements to run Aero.

Below are the areo hardware requirements.

1-gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) of random access memory (RAM)

128-megabyte (MB) graphics card

Aero also requires a DirectX 9 class graphics processor that supports a Windows Display Driver Model Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware, and 32 bits per pixel.

For best results, you might also want to follow these graphics processor recommendations:

64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution that is less than 1,310,720 pixels (for example, a 17–inch flat panel LCD monitor that has a 1280 × 1024 resolution)

128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels (for example, a 21.1–inch flat panel LCD monitor that has up to a 1600 × 1200 resolution)

256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution greater than 2,304,000 pixels (for example, a 30–inch wide-screen flat panel LCD monitor that has up to a 2560 × 1600 resolution)

Taken from this site. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-desktop/f731d7e2-8731-438a-a839-011597d8099a

Your old dell probably only has 8 mb of video memory onboard if that.

Fireguns

ya it boots up fast and works pretty fast and i took a look at the graphics card memory and it is 64mb and the computer says the card can support aero but the driver is not wmmd compatible and i need to get a compatible driver so i am stuck on the basic theme and my graphics card can go up to 1600 x 1200 resolution but my monitor is 1280 x 1024 resolution so i know the aero will work the machine says it self so i maby need to contact dell and see that got a driver or they maby will make me a custom driver

Fireguns

thanks for trying to help S.T.A.R.S. but i already went there and done that to my computer and still not working my graphics card is above the minimum sys requerments to run windows 7 aero but i need to get a wdm compatible driver for my system and dell does not have it to give you a clue aero works just fine in windows vista

Fireguns

hey spirit read the whole thing it says for a monitor with less than 1,310,720 pixel the minimum is 64mb of video ram so i am above the minimum but ya i can't find a wdm driver for my driver but the thing i still can't get is that windows vista works with aero just fine with my graphics card but 7 doesn't so there has to be a driver wdm driver out there for my computer

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i know my computer is made in 2004 and the graphics card is in the motherboard and i can't get aero working and there is no way of forcing it so i will just save up my money and buy a new graphics card that is pci compatible i will maby find one at bookmans for 15 bucks so i was just seeing if it was possible to run it on my card which it doesn't so thanks for letting me know guys.

As far as im aware,and if i seen the correct system specs from your model..your system only has PCI (Not Pci-e) and only AGP 8X...you would want an AGP card.

Something along the lines of Ati 9600/Nvidia 6600GT..which both should handle Aero and you should be able to pick them up pretty cheap on Ebay.

But like i said before,you will need to make sure your Power supply is up to the job of handling a better graphics card,Which i doubt it would be.

Fireguns

ya shane i saw some put a video on youtube of the same computer model of mine using windows 7 and they were using some sort of geforce graphics card he put on there my card has 96mb of video ram and aero works just fine on vista but i know many people have the same computer as me and the same problem and i just don't want to spend any all because microsoft doesn't want to support a driver for a computer only 5 years older than the os.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You can download a program called True Transparency.This program was designed for Windows XP and Windows Vista,but it also enables a pseudo Windows 7 Aero theme.Normally it comes with the Windows 7 transformation pack,but you will not be able to use the Windows 7 transformation pack on Windows 7 for obvious reasons.You can always try of course.However you can use the individual programs in the pack such as True Transparency,ViGlance,ViStart,WinFlip and the Rainbar programs.