windows 7 and hard drive problem

cornishhosting

Hi i have windows 7 on my home PC and want to remove the slave hard drive but everytime i do the computer wont boot up because it knows its missing.
is there any way i can do this because i need to replace the drive. any help would be great :)

Darthaus

What is the error you are getting? When you installed windows was the slave drive hooked up as well?
It's possible the boot loader was installed on the slave drive not the master, its happened to me before

cornishhosting

What is the error you are getting? When you installed windows was the slave drive hooked up as well?
It's possible the boot loader was installed on the slave drive not the master, its happened to me before

No don't want to install windows just remove the slave. and yes the slave was installed when i put windows on

Darthaus

I wasn't saying to install windows.

With the slave drive out boot to the windows 7 disk and choose repair computer. Then click startup repair and let it do its thing, it should fix the problem. If not let us know.

cornishhosting

I wasn't saying to install windows.

With the slave drive out boot to the windows 7 disk and choose repair computer. Then click startup repair and let it do its thing, it should fix the problem. If not let us know.

Don't really want to take the risk in case it screws up my windows 7 install and i loose everything

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, just use the repair option. Since it won't boot up with the slave drive removed, most likely what happened is that your boot files are on your other drive. And once that drive got removed it wouldn't boot. The repair option will put the boot files on your main drive now.