Windows 7 Audio device driver lost/went missing

DarnellJ

So this morning I turned on my computer, and I checked that there was no sound to my headphones. I checked the device drivers in the bottom right corner of my computer, near the time.

I see only: "Speakers... AnvSoft Virtual Sound Device". Usually I see three or more devices there. I always see "Speakers... High Definition Audio Device" or something that's related to Realtek as my default device. But this morning, I saw nothing but the AnvSoft one, and there is no sound in my headphones, and I know that my headphones are not the problem because when I plugged it into my phone, it works fine.

This also applies to my microphone devices. Only the AnvSoft one.

I tried installing Realtek audio drivers, but it's not working.

Here are the SS's:

e6Iu2yK.png

_Pete_

What computer is it. If it's a laptop what make and model.

Do this:-
1. Press Win+R (Windows logo
img_57fef72359c9c.png
key and R key) at the same time. A Run dialog will appear.

2. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click OK button.

Double click "Sound video and game controllers. What is it saying there about sound drivers, if any. Are there any red crosses or yellow triangles against any of the entries?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any entries in device manager that have yellow question marks/exclamation points next to them or any unknown devices? Also, go into the bios and verify that integrated audio is enabled. The onboard sound may have died. Have you tried rebooting pc?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it sounds like the onboard sound is shot. Can you post a picture of the device manager? What motherboard do you have? Looks like you'll have to buy a sound card.

DarnellJ

I've successfully installed the driver, and it has a yellow warning sign beside the Realtek one. No more AnvSoft software whatsoever, my dad reformatted the computer.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What does the warning say? Are you sure it's actually a Realtek device? What motherboard do you have?

DarnellJ

Code 10, cannot start the device. It is, I downloaded it thru Device Manager. I have a Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P

Maybe it's not supported by my motherboard, I downloaded a realtek audio driver specifically for my motherboard.

Still not working smh

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What OS do you have? If XP you have to download and install the UAA driver first before installing the sound driver.

DarnellJ

Windows 7
I installed a sound card but device manager cannot detect it and it says "Device driver was not successfully installed"

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disable onboard sound and try again. It has to detect it in order for it to say device driver not successfully installed. What sound card did you get? Is it inserted fully into the slot?