Windows 7 external speaker problem

Vragensteller

I have a big issue with my external speakers when using Windows Vista or Windows 7. The issue is that the internal speakers of my laptop (Asus M51SN) do work but when I plug in the front jack of my Logitech Z5500 or Trust Headphones, they don't work. This is an issue I have since this morning and before that it always worked. I reinstalled my computer from Windows 7 (which didn't work) to Windows Vista, which didn't work either (I reinstalled this laptop to Vista around five times in the past, and the sound always worked but not today) and it didn't work on Windows 7 either when I installed that one.

Of course, you might say that my front jack is broken or that my sound card is outdated, but that is not the case here. When starting up the computer I get to see an intro from Asus, the manufacturer of this laptop. The funny thing is that the sound from that intro does work on my external speakers, but the sound from Windows itself doesn't. So it isn't broken, but I find it very strange that even after a fresh install the external speakers don't work when they did work with my last fresh install of the same software a couple of months ago.

Why did my laptop / Windows installation suddenly decided to stop working when the external speakers or headphones are connected, and how can I fix this problem?

Vragensteller

When I use the device manager I find the 'High Definition Audio Device', but when I try to auto-update that device Windows says it can't find any drivers and that the best driver is already installed. On top of that, when I reinstall the computer with Windows Vista / Windows 7, the drivers will be deleted, obviously. The sound always worked perfectly after a fresh install with the internal and external speakers. Both the recovery disc (Vista) as the fresh Windows 7 installation worked perfectly in the past, but not now. That's why I think the drivers aren't the problem, but correct me if I'm wrong.

wolfeking

banned
just try it anyway, if it doesn't fix the problem, it will rule some things out.

just go to the asus site and download the correct drivers and install. Make sure to get the newest ones they have.
Never trust the windows driver finder, its not reliable at any means. The manufacturers site will almost always find it faster and not misread a old one as current.

wolfeking

banned
most vista drivers should work on 7. Just like XP drivers work on 2k.

Hmmm.... can you get the vendor ID from the device manager to show us?