Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit 800700C1 error code

RisingSun

I've had this for a long time. Today I'm going to try to get rid of it. I have tried CCleaner, Norton, and Malwarebytes to no avail. How do I solve this?

RisingSun

I'm currently running 'sfc /scannow'. I ran the program from the link you gave. I ran the update troubleshooter from Microsoft's web site, tried to install updates, and now I have a new error code: 8024001B.

Edit: now I'm back to getting error code 800700C1

Edit: Hotfix for Windows (KB947821) would not install.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try downloading windows repair and running it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/dl/265/

Open the program, click on start repair tab, click on start. You'll get a popup about backing up registry and creating a restore point. Up to you if you do. The only box you want checked is number 16 "repair windows updates" then click on start. The process may take a minute or two. Reboot when done and try installing updates again. If it doesn't work, would just suggest reinstalling windows or do a system restore back to a day it was working correctly.

RisingSun

When I re-install Windows, should I create a Windows.old folder? There's obviously something wrong now, and I don't won't to leave that on the HDD, but it sure would be more convenient so that I don't have to re-install so many programs. I actually have a Windows.old folder now, because I re-installed once before.

Jiniix

Try this first:
Boot in to Safe Mode (spam F8 at boot)

Go to :
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Delete all the content of these folders
Run CCleaner
Reboot to normal mode

Try Updates again

RisingSun

Try this first:
Boot in to Safe Mode (spam F8 at boot)

Go to :
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Delete all the content of these folders
Run CCleaner
Reboot to normal mode

Try Updates again

This failed. So I'll repost my question:

When I re-install Windows, should I create a Windows.old folder? There's obviously something wrong now, and I don't won't to leave that on the HDD, but it sure would be more convenient so that I don't have to re-install so many programs. I actually have a Windows.old folder now, because I re-installed once before.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't matter if there is a windows.old folder or not. You will have to reinstall your programs anyway. As said before, you should do a fresh install by deleting existing partitions and repartition then install.

RisingSun

Doesn't matter if there is a windows.old folder or not. You will have to reinstall your programs anyway. As said before, you should do a fresh install by deleting existing partitions and repartition then install.

I'm able to run programs out of my current windows.old folder, so I thought I wouldn't have to re-install those.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how you are able to do that, unless its a stand alone program which doesn't require system file entries and registry entries to work correctly. What you should do is transfer any needed files out of there into your regular personal folder and then delete windows.old folder so you can gain that space back. Any active programs like virus software will need to be reinstalled anyway.