Windows 7 OEM Vs. Retail

kfawcett

The OEM version is tied to the motherboard. You can upgrade any other parts all day long as long as the mobo stays the same. Otherwise if the motherboard dies you will need to call support and try to get the key reactivated.

BuddyLee81

I would rather get the retail version of 7 just to be safe. And yes I understand not everyone can afford the retail which is fine but i'd rather not go through the hassle of MS but then again I could lie about certain things on why I need a new key for the OEM just as a lot of people would. I hate paying for things though.

Herman Munster

oem vs retail

Im sorry to say I have to agree with Laquer Head. I know what it says on paper about OEM. I have the the used the same "KEY" to install Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit and 64 bit on about ten plus units, all different systems, some laptops and some desktops, activated all over the phone. I was only questioned twice of the ten plus times. I just said my motherboard was flaky on a new new build and I upgraded to slightly different model. So the long lenghty discussion on the topic is not to be a concern.

tlarkin

VIP Member
With the economy the way it is and with Windows getting more and more DRM every release, I doubt that this method of reusing OEM over and over again will last.

Sure, it is possible to install the same OEM multiple times over, but legally you aren't suppose to do it. The forum rules don't support or allow illegal activity to be discussed, so we make it clear that you cannot legally install the same OEM license on multiple machines or different machines.

Srcko

I think you are looking into wrong direction. There are different versions of OEM software, and you can purchase them with hardware, or receive them to licensing contract in many countries. But differenced between retail and OEM versions of software are not in protection types or in functionality. That is always stated on media holding original version. So, yes, you can abuse them any way you like. You can get OEM CD or just registration key and install as many copies as you want and call MS to activate. They will not stop you.

Difference is in is your license legal or not. If you do not have OEM label on your hardware and proof of purchase it is not legal. Not sure about US, but in rest of world you can only purchase OEM in countries which are in country wide licensing process with MS involvement.

In other words if you breach contract your software license is ilegal in same way anything you get over internet is. So why care:p

kfawcett

Not true. It's tied to the hardware configuration, not just one component.

Not trying to rehash an old topic, but it is true. You can change any component on your system without potentially violating your EULA except for the mobo. Whether or not you get away with it is another question.

Q. If my customer asks me to upgrade a PC with new hardware components, when is a new operating system needed? When would the PC be considered "new"?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

SOURCE:OEM System Builder licensing FAQ

11. Rather than purchase completely new PCs, my organization performs in-place upgrades to the hardware on many of our computers. We often times only replace the motherboard, processor, and memory. Since the COA is still on the case and the OS is still installed on the hard drive, this computer is still licensed, right?
ANSWER. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer." Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from one computer to another. Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer has been created, the original license expires, and a new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required. This is true even if the computer is covered under Software Assurance or other Volume License programs.

12. If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?
ANSWER. The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive.

Please refer to the section on “Modifications to hardware and how they affect the activation status of Windows XP” in the following link for a more detailed explanation regarding specific hardware changes. The same hardware component changes that can be made to a PC before requiring re-activation of Windows XP are the same changes that can be made before a PC is considered to be “new” - and when a new license for OEM software is required.

http://microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/windowsproductactivationtechnicalmarketbulletin.doc

SOURCE: Operating System Licensing Q&A

Last edited:

avragha

Hi

This Raghavendra from india, i just wanted to know about OEM pack.

1. We have an main Office in chennai (INDIA) &
2. Branch office in US

If i buy an OEM pack from www.Amazon.com from US the shipment address is in US office and can i use the that OEM pack in INDIA office or not?

Thanks in advance

ErikAlbert

The OEM can be re-installed on the same computer, but the online activation is limited, but I don't remember how many times.
Once the online activation doesn't work anymore, you have to activate by phone.
That's what happened to me. I don't like phone-activation : too many numbers and no mistake or you can call again.

To avoid this phone-activation.
Install Windows activate it online or by phone and make a backup image.
After that you can restore that image as many times you want without online/phone-activation on the same PC and that was a big relief for me.

I never had a retail version, but what has been said about retail so far, is true as far I remember.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Hi

This Raghavendra from india, i just wanted to know about OEM pack.

1. We have an main Office in chennai (INDIA) &
2. Branch office in US

If i buy an OEM pack from www.Amazon.com from US the shipment address is in US office and can i use the that OEM pack in INDIA office or not?

Thanks in advance

OEM is for system builders. If you have built your computer, or sell a system on to someone else, you can legally install an OEM version. If, however, you have your system and upgrade to 7, you will have to use the upgrade (to go from vista to 7) or buy a retail version.

Retail can also be used on any system, but only 1 at a time, OEM however gets bound to your motherboard, so the code can only be used once. You can get around this by bsing Microsoft, but you shouldn't do that

avragha

Hi Aastii

Thanks for the reply, i would like to know that the OEM that i buyed from US can be used in India or not?

shane252

HI there folks,
I am new to this pc building game and I have decided to re-hash a few of my PC's from the attic, the specs meet todays standards in terms of hardware components so no issues there.
Something I would like to ask is, What is the best way to get a copy of win xp or vista onto the systems, would I have to buy 2x OEMS?

Thanks much

Aastii

VIP Member
Hi Aastii

Thanks for the reply, i would like to know that the OEM that i buyed from US can be used in India or not?

yes, it will work

HI there folks,
I am new to this pc building game and I have decided to re-hash a few of my PC's from the attic, the specs meet todays standards in terms of hardware components so no issues there.
Something I would like to ask is, What is the best way to get a copy of win xp or vista onto the systems, would I have to buy 2x OEMS?

Thanks much

You would have to get atleat 2 keys, yes, be that to buy 2 copies of whichever OS you choose, or if it works out cheaper, you can get copies which have 3 liscences, so are good to go for up to 3 different computers

TomBrooklyn

What Kind of Support Does Microsoft Offer?

What kind of support does MS offer?

How easy is it to access?

Is this support by telephone, chat, email or other?

How long are the wait times to get helped?

How useful is it, generally?

I've only owned Gateway and Dell computers. They came with OEM versions of Windows, and I've never had any support from Microsoft. I didn't even know MS offered support.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of support does MS offer?

How easy is it to access?

Is this support by telephone, chat, email or other?

How long are the wait times to get helped?

How useful is it, generally?

I've only owned Gateway and Dell computers. They came with OEM versions of Windows, and I've never had any support from Microsoft. I didn't even know MS offered support.

With OEM operating system licenses, the support comes from the pc maker or the person who installed the OS for you. Microsoft will only offer support if you have the upgrade or retail versions of windows, not OEM.