Windows 7 Opinion

Machin3

So I just installed Windows 7 RC on my other hard drive and I am very impressed so far. I think it looks and performs well. What do you guys think?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been running it since yesturday,So far its alot better than Vista.

Its more responsive,takes less time copying files from one drive to another and the boot time and shutdown has gone down quite alot which is good.

Im not realy into the new taskbar though,i changed that back to the vista one.

Ive had problems with Ledt for dead crashing on me,But i think thats due to nvidia drivers OR the latest steam update itself because it kept crashing on me in vista too.

Hmm,other than tha its been fine,I still dont think its anywhere near as good as Xp is though....sorry.

I mean they had to put in a XP Mode for Windows 7....isnt that telling you something? :D

Machin3

yeah..I have two hard drives and on one im running XP and on the other Windows 7. If I have both hard drives plugged in, is there a way I could choose between which hard drive I want to boot up?

Bob692006

Been running it since yesturday,So far its alot better than Vista.

Its more responsive,takes less time copying files from one drive to another and the boot time and shutdown has gone down quite alot which is good.

Ive had problems with Ledt for dead crashing on me,But i think thats due to nvidia drivers OR the latest steam update itself because it kept crashing on me in vista too.

Hmm,other than tha its been fine,I still dont think its anywhere near as good as Xp is though....sorry.

I mean they had to put in a XP Mode for Windows 7....isnt that telling you something? :D

I'm with you, changed the taskbar as well, but I don't know about it being better than XP. Of course I'm not really doing anything too advanced with mine. I have the same issue with Steam on both Vista and 7 64-bit, but when I hit Steam up about it they just told me it was a known issue and that they were working on an update to provide better support on x64 OS's. For the time being you can run it in 32-bit mode. Do this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947 it helped with the crashing during gameplay.

gamerman4

- awesome taskbar
- Search Connectors are cool
- The Live Wave 3 suite is nice. (I know not technically a Win7 only feature)
- Less resource use
- Tons better than Vista and XP (and some other OSs that I can't name without causing a fight)
- Libraries have a decent use
- Snipping tool no longer has a red outline
- Homegroups are great
- Online ID syncing is pretty sweet
- WMP12 is great, one of the better media players I've used

speedyink

VIP Member

You can change it to the Vista one?

The only reason for that is that older programs that haven't decided to update their software in, oh say 2 years don't work.

Seriously, what's not to like about the Taskbar?

I'm with you on that. I can't see how the older taskbars are better in any way, except maybe the big size but if it turns you off you can make it smaller.

zombine210

i just did a fresh install (or so i think) over the beta, and i think it cannabalized some of my old settings :eek:
it doesn't try to automatically install the nic and SBLive card like it did with beta making it crash, wich is nice. and didn't have to install the ich9 chipset and usb2.0 drivers, but device manager lists two hi def audio devices :confused:
the only thing though, is i had to use vista 9.3 catalyst drivers to get 1680x1050 @ 85hz resolution from my monitor; the 9.4 doesn't give me that options, but it's ok for now.
anybody know how to browse internet radio from within WMP? i can't figure it out :(

Droogie

yea seriously the new taskbar makes everything sooooooooooo much quicker. not sure why you guys aren't liking it.

zombine210

Have you tried ATI's windows 7 specific drivers? I think it is version 8.xxx.

hmmm... didn't notice those. you mean the Windows 7 WHQL Drivers 8.612?
i'll give them a try later, thanks.

You mean Media Center...

tried that, but no, i don't have a tuner. i mean like this: http://www.windowsmedia.com/Radiotuner/myradio.asp
but from within media player, like in XP.
when i go to media guide>music, and do a search, all i get are youtube links.
[edit] i got it working by using the website, and selecting the station i want. it still plays on WMP, but it would be nice to have the browser in wmp.[/edit]

Last edited:

luckyedboy66

Installed the Win7 RC today. They fixed about everything i didnt like about vista (updated screen resolution inerface, wireless interface, etc.). Unfortunately for some reason my max screen res is 1024 x 768...wtf? its all smashed and looks pretty bad. hopefully there will be a graphics update soon, cause this is terrible! other than that, i would say its nicer than vista, but most of this stuff should just be in vista service pack 3, not a whole new OS. IMO, vista pwns XP, and win7 crushes it!

EDIT: i just restarted win7 after installing some updates, and it fixed the resolution problems :D. now im running at a beautiful 1440x900. im officially loving win 7!
so far i give it 8/10. my rating might go up as i have a chance to explore the new features.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check this out,I instaled 7 a few days ago,installed all the drivers including the latest beta nvidia drivers for 64 bit 7 and guess what!

i get around 400 less 3d marks than i got in Vista! :D

I was shocked considering 7 is way faster than vista at loading things etc,do you think my score is because of the BETA nvidia drivers?