Windows 7 or 10 and anti-virus

Hey guys do you recommend win 7 or 10 and why, also what anti-virus should I use and why, also anti-virus needs to be 100% free of cost. I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Darren

Staff member

Support for 7 ends at the beginning of 2020. Only reason to go with 7 is if you have older software that doesn't work with 10. Otherwise 10 is faster, uses less resources (usually), and is get a more modern and refined OS.

For security Avast Free as well as MalwareBytes for backup and an Adblocker for your browser (uBlock for Chrome is my preference).

Agent Smith

Bitdefender Free

AOMEI Backuper

F*&^%^ Windows 10.

Let me clarify. I don't use updates. I find them to be pointless. I can bet the lotto that you could update your OS till your little heart's content and you will still get a virus or get hacked.

I have never gotten a virus or been "hacked" or any of that crap. Mostly due to the way I use my computer and surf the Internet. If you surf the Internet like a moron, then by all means use M$ updates, and perhaps it may help you. Not so in the polymorphic department. Good luck with that. If you want as best Internet security you can get go with Linux. That will greatly help in the security department. Windows by nature is a malware/hacker magnet due to its popularity.

If I ever get malware (slim chance to none) I have clones of my computers all on external hard drives that I can pull out and reclone my OS back like nothing ever changed.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I don't use updates. I find them to be pointless. I can bet the lotto that you could update your OS till your little heart's content and you will still get a virus or get hacked.

You owe me and a whole lot of other people some money bud.

MS updates definitely help, but you're correct that it comes down to how the person uses it more than anything.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Let me clarify. I don't use updates. I find them to be pointless.
Updates can plug some of the more serious holes in the OS. Just like antivirus and other security tools help. You can get away without them, but especially in the case of updates, why? You are just leaving the door open.

At the end of the day you are right, if you get a virus/hacked, you were probably going to get it regardless.

Darren

Staff member
Updates can plug some of the more serious holes in the OS. Just like antivirus and other security tools help. You can get away without them, but especially in the case of updates, why? You are just leaving the door open.

At the end of the day you are right, if you get a virus/hacked, you were probably going to get it regardless.
Cuz Microsoft is evil. Duh.

Agent Smith

I'm living proof that without updates you can surf the Internet and not get a virus. It's all in all how you do things. Now cough up my money!