windows 7 or mac?

dkane95

i'm not very good with computers so this may not all make sense.

when i can afford to (soon hopefully), i am going to replace my dell inspiron 530s xp desktop with something more portable. i would also like an os which isn't slow and doesn't require loads of maintenance to prevent it from lagging and freezing all the time :mad:. I have only bought this pc recently, and for the first 2 months, it ran perfect, now it awful. i have it optimised for best performance, clean the registry every few days using norton and do everything i can to make it run faster, which works, but isn't good enough.
is windows 7 any better? has anyone here used it for longer than 6 months now? the laptop specs i want are: min 3gb ram, 2.1+ghz processor(s), 320gb+hdd and windows 7 64bit.

i dont have much money, certainly not enough for a new macbook, but is a second hand macbook better than a new windows 7 laptop?

pym

I've been using Win7 at work for about a year and it runs well. I don't know much about Macs, though I know people who swear by them.

If you're considering buying a laptop secondhand, you might also consider running Linux. It'll certainly be a different environment for you, coming from XP, but then so would Mac's OSX.

I recently wiped a laptop that was running Vista. It was ridden with malware and I couldn't remove it all in the time that I had to work on it, so I replaced it Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook edition. It ran well and the user seems happy with it.

User0one

You sound pretty clueless, so I would suggest a Mac. Then at least you will have less worries about Virus problems.

dave10

banned
Windows 7 is a great product of Microsoft Corporation. I am also using it on my machine.
It’s running very well.

It is not a easy job to say, which OS is good or bad becuase all OS's have good and bad points.but still i can consider that YES windows is more prone to virus's etc but on the other side at the same time it is more easy to use also.

i have used most of the operating system's, mac is wonderful thing untill you dont want to do much more than basic things-nowdays mac come with very fast cpu's, big ram,big hardrive.

on the other hand if you can be a bit of a challenger and can do little tricks then linux will be the saviour. no virus,no trojans but u need to set up everything (most of the thing such packages,repository, restriction-libdvd things) urself. its tricky but google can help alot.

windows 7 is good os, im using it with ubuntu and server 2008 they all worked fine. till so far no complaints from 7 but if you can get a mac then go it. tc

Aastii

VIP Member
+1 for removing norton, you can find a bunch of free and light protection software in the freeware thread (in my sig). Personally I would recommend Avast from the list, but like bodaggit suggested, avira is pretty decent too

Then, download Ccleaner and defraggler, from here:

http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup236.exe

and here:

http://download.piriform.com/dfsetup121.exe

First run ccleaner (LEAVE THAT REGISTRY ALONE!!),

then, go to control panel > add/remove programs and delete everything on there that is to do with dell, none of it is needed and it is just taking up room and resources.

Finally, run defraggler 2 or 3 times. You might think 1 is enough, but generally the first run will defrag your files and slightly condense the files, but will leave a load spread out, which the second run will condense and order better, and the third will ensure it is as good as it can get.