Windows 7 Pro Dvd's Not Booting

OK, so preliminary explanation. I recently built a computer for my parents and everything's going good until I try to install Windows 7 on it. I use my Windows 7 Home Premium CD and a Product Key that my father acquired from his work. What I discover after going through the whole installation is that the key he got is for Windows 7 Professional. So, now I have Home Premium installed on the hard drive but no product key for it. I try to get around this by downloading a Windows 7 Professional ISO that Microsoft released and burning it to a Dvd. However, when I put it in the computer it goes straight to the Windows 7 Home Premium product key request page. I realize that the hard drive is booting before the dvd so I disable the hard drive. However, now nothing boots because for some reason the Dvd I burned either doesn't work or isn't boot-able. Anyone know of a work around or a way to verify the functionality of the CD? It is willing to run me through the installation process on my own computer but refuses to do so from a boot-up on my parents.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A few things.

Is the cdrom drive in the computer able to read DVD's? If so, its possible the dvd eye/laser is bad and you need to replace the drive.

Do you have the cdrom as first boot device?

How did you burn the ISO?

It's the same Cdrom drive as the one I burned the dvd on so I assume they are compatible. I set it as the first boot device after I disabled the hard drive in the boot sequence. I burned the ISO with the built in burning software on Windows 7, with Astroburn Lite, and will be trying PowerISO next.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try another bootable dvd in the system to see if it boots, if not, then assume you have a faulty drive.

I got it to work. The Dvd's I burned were the problem. I burned another CD with a different program and made sure to edit the ei.cfg file so that it was running Windows 7 Professional. Not sure how it happened but it worked this time after 4 wasted dvd's. Thanks anyway for the timely suggestions.