Windows 7 Problems...

goosy22

hey everybody,

been a looooooooooooooooooooooong time since i've been on here and after recent problems with 7, i knew this was the place to get some answers... here goes:

i have a HP Pavilion Slimline s3120t bought brand new from staples (i think) about 2ish years ago... have had only one problem with the computer since owning, which was my dual tv tuner being dropped from the "certified" or "compatible" list for windows media center, but that is something i've learned to deal with...

anyways, i got a copy of 7 pro from the college i attended for free so i decided to install it up and try out the new "flagship" from M$... did a clean install and after doing monster size updates to get everything working, i was enjoying "vista with some upgrades" :p...

computer worked fine for about 2 months before it started crashing... started off as just vertical lines in the screen and i figured it was GPU driver problems, so i reinstalled the drivers and things seemed to go away for about a week... then just the taskbar at the bottom of the screen got the vertical lines and after a day or two of that the taskbar disappeared... didn't think much of it as the problem went away after a reboot and stayed away for a few days then returned... figured since it was on all the time constantly streaming music a reboot every few days was an easy fix for something that wasn't too much of a bother...

then the real deal starts, about 3 weeks ago the computer locked up to the point of unplugging it to be the only remedy... after the initial reboot it stays locked at the "starting windows" black screen with the pulsating windows icon... i was fed up with it not restarting, so i tried a system restore and that seemed to work for a bit... as of the past week though, it hasn't got past the "starting windows" screen and i figured a clean wipe is in store... did the fresh install again and same problem, won't even make it to the "setting your computer up for the first time" screen when it starts the services and prompts you to setup automatic updates...

started off thinking it's a software failure but moving quickly to hardware failure... sorry about the book i just wrote, ready to answer any questions... thanks in advance...

EDIT: also, when it was running, did a virus/malware scan which showed nothing to fault...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Start by replaceing the video card if possible or adding a dedicated card if it has onboard video.

goosy22

i'll see if i can find one that i can put in, and it's onboard graphics if that spurs any ideas...

goosy22

UPDATE: can't find a gpu card laying around to throw in it... and i tried installing buntu to see if i could single out the installation disk but the install of linux kind of crashes and my tv turns to "no signal" but the computer continues to run...

(also on a side note, this computer is being ran to a samsung 56" rear projection lcd tv via standard vga cable)

still more than likely a video card issue right?

Bodaggit23

It sounds to me like your hard drive may be failing.

Try to run the Ubuntu "live" from the disc, instead of "installing" it.

If you get no display, see if you can find an old CRT monitor to try.

The Ubuntu native resolution may not be supported on all digital
monitors, and you can't see to change it.

If you can get Ubuntu to run it's probably your hard drive failing.

If you can't, and your onboard graphics is the culprit, then you're
needing a dedicted graphics card, but you'll need a "Low Profile" card
to fit into the Slimline case.

zenarchos15.

With what you have said then I would say it is a GPU problem but if you can, and you've got the discs why don't you go back to the original operating system that your computer came with, with all the drivers/utilities installed. That way you will know it's in it's original state and if it hasn't worked something is physically damaged/broken. Did you check that Windows 7 was compatible with all your components before installing it?

Hope this helps *

goosy22

It sounds to me like your hard drive may be failing.

Try to run the Ubuntu "live" from the disc, instead of "installing" it.

If you get no display, see if you can find an old CRT monitor to try.

The Ubuntu native resolution may not be supported on all digital
monitors, and you can't see to change it.

If you can get Ubuntu to run it's probably your hard drive failing.

If you can't, and your onboard graphics is the culprit, then you're
needing a dedicted graphics card, but you'll need a "Low Profile" card
to fit into the Slimline case.

definitely will give that a try and i know the slimline won't fit too many cards... ;)

With what you have said then I would say it is a GPU problem but if you can, and you've got the discs why don't you go back to the original operating system that your computer came with, with all the drivers/utilities installed. That way you will know it's in it's original state and if it hasn't worked something is physically damaged/broken. Did you check that Windows 7 was compatible with all your components before installing it?

Hope this helps *

good idea, can't believe i didn't think of that :eek:... and yes everything is windows 7 "certified"

i'll try it after i get off work tonight and let you guys know... and of course thanks...

goosy22

so i tried running linux off the live cd, it crashed right after the initial loading screen... vista (which is what the comp came with) will start the install, but crashes during the install... pretty sure a new sata hdd is in the budget, unless you guys still think gpu...

now, dumb question, but if it was still my graphics card that is shot... wouldn't it be black screening and not posting???

zenarchos15.

Quote: "if it was still my graphics card that is shot... wouldn't it be black screening and not posting"

Your probably right, yes it looks like it could be the HDD if nothing works on it.

Bodaggit23

Do you get an error when trying to run Ubuntu?

Overall, I would say if you're getting consistent display, then it's probably your hard drive.

goosy22

Do you get an error when trying to run Ubuntu?

Overall, I would say if you're getting consistent display, then it's probably your hard drive.

it won't boot up completely... no specific error messages... it black screens and the computer stays on...

I think your GPU, HDD or RAM is on it's way out. got any of those you can test?

nothing laying around... i'm looking into buying a HDD to test it out, but might buy a new laptop before then...