windows 7 questions.

Strokes

I've been thinking about acquiring windows 7 and I have a few questions.

1. Can I "Upgrade" and still keep all of my files, programs, games, music, ect.?

2. In Jan when I have to buy it, will it be cheaper than buying off the shelf?

3. Is it really that much better than vista?

codeman0013

1)Yes but they are having issues and most times its just better to start from scratch with a clean image

2)What do you mean with this question?

3)It blows vista away.. With vista my laptop took about 3 to 5 minutes to load.. it can post and boot and be ready to use in under 30 seconds with 7.. it also is a lot better to use not nearly as many errors and it seems to discover all drivers without any issues on my newer laptop and even my 7 year old pc.. Its a much better product then vista by far..

Bodaggit23

I've been thinking about acquiring windows 7 and I have a few questions.

1. Can I "Upgrade" and still keep all of my files, programs, games, music, ect.?

2. In Jan when I have to buy it, will it be cheaper than buying off the shelf?

3. Is it really that much better than vista?

1.) You can do an in-place upgrade from Vista.

To upgrade from XP, you will need to backup your files, clean install, then
reinstall your applications.

To upgrade from Windows 7 RC, your data will be backed up for you in a
WINDOWS.OLD folder.

2.) The Release Candidate will fully expire June 1, 2010.
You'll get two weeks' notice, and then beginning on March 1, 2010, your PC will start shutting down every two hours. So, you won't need to worry about purchasing until March, basically.

I doubt the prices will vary much between now and next year.

3.) Windows 7 is much "lighter" than Vista, but if your hardware can run Vista well, you probably won't notice a difference.

Strokes

I'm upgrading from vista ultimate 64 bit, so should I be fine in terms of upgrading so I dont have to reinstall all my programs?

Bodaggit23

so there's no OEM beta version out yet?

The Release Candidate is the only version out right now.

If you install it, you will not be able to "Upgrade" and keep all your programs.

You would need to reinstall them once Windows 7 is installed.