Windows 7 upgrade question

Washrag

I'm eager to leave this **** Vista behind, and was wondering if with the W7 upgrade edition would let me format new partitions before install. Probably not, but that would save me the trouble of doing a Vista restore to fix the badly set partitions and then doing the upgrade on top of that.

Also, can I go from a 32 bit copy of Vista to a Windows 7 64 bit with the upgrade?

Kosh

you can upgrade from 32 to 64.be sure to select the option to do a clean install.ive done 3 pc's that way with no problems.

Bodaggit23

You can format and clean install with the upgrade discs.

Also you can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit.

To upgrade from 32 to 64bit however you will need to boot from the install disc.

Washrag

You can format and clean install with the upgrade discs.

Also you can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit.

To upgrade from 32 to 64bit however you will need to boot from the install disc.

Thanks for the replies. Can you clarify what you mean by booting from the install disc? Aren't I doing that anyway?

Bodaggit23

To upgrade from 32bit to 32bit, you can put the disc in while running your current version of Windows and run the installer. This way will let you format and clean install in addition to backing up all your files to a WINDOWS.OLD folder.

You cannot do this from 32bit to 64bit.

You have to tell your computer to boot from the install disc, before your current version of Windows boots up.

Fel221

actually im not too sure if u want to upgrade a 32 bit to 64 , from what i know, 32 bit will get max 3.5 g of ram but the 32 bit is not as heavy as the 64 bit, if u want to go as fast on a 32 bit as on a 64 bit ull need like 8 g of ram to run it as easily, as fast, so unless uve got 9- 10 g of ram u'd be better with the 32 bit

Bodaggit23

32 bit is not as heavy as the 64 bit, if u want to go as fast on a 32 bit as on a 64 bit ull need like 8 g of ram to run it as easily, as fast, so unless uve got 9- 10 g of ram u'd be better with the 32 bit

Simply not true. Any of it.

linkin

VIP Member
Why does that guy keep posting that? the only change is the amount of RAM you can use and support of certain programs.