Windows 7 Upgrade to 10 Not Recognized As Genuine

Slacker7

My Lenovo laptop came pre-installed with Windows 7 64 when I bought it a few years ago. It was fully updated, etc. when I upgraded to Windows 10 last week without issue. But MS is saying that it needs to be activated and is not genuine. Honestly, I am stumped because two other laptops and two PCs that I upgraded within the same week recognizes 10.

Now I can run the laptop fine, do work, etc. But the "Check for Updates" is grayed out. I sure could use your advice. Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you use the media creation tool to upgrade it?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Not much we can do if the upgrade didn't activate. You can try going back to windows 7 and then doing the update again. I just upgraded a windows 7 desktop to 10 last week and it worked no problems. Did you run malware scans on the machine prior to upgrading? I always do that along with Ccleaner.

Slacker7

Yes, I used that tool. And, yes, I did my security scans plus CCleaner. From what I have read this upgrade can only be one once and if you go back to 7 but then try to upgrade to 10 again it won't work; anyway that is what I read. I am very tempted to do a reformat and load Linux Mint 19.3. Thanks much for your reply. If you can think of any more steps let me know. Thanks.