Windows 7

chibicitiberiu

I've heart about Microsoft currently building Windows Codename 7. How is going it to be like? What the system requirements will be? Will it be at least as good as xp?

chibicitiberiu

thanks for the link. So after reading it looks to me that vista is just a "Beta" for windows 7?

It doesn't say too much, and there is much stuff I already knew about, like WinFS (still wonder what the hack it is).

Last edited:

jdbennet

basically, its logical that windows vistas sucessor will be Windows NT 6.1 or 7 (in fact, i personally think its more likely to be 6.1, as this seems to be looking more like a "vista second edition" than a major revamp.

Its currently in development and MS are aiming for 2009-2010 (classic 3/4 yuear release cycle) at earliest, and by my estimates, no later than 2012 (longer 5/6 year release cycle like nt4, xp)

Its getting some interesting new featurs like MinWin.

MS usually tend to base the next release of desktop editions on the newest server release, which in this case would be 2008 server

jdbennet

then again, second editions of things tend to be good

95 OSR2 - good
98 SE - good
XP SP2 - good
Server 2003 R2 - Good

methinks windows 7 will basically be what we expected vista to be, before they started rushing it, and cutting things out

p.s been looking at the screenies of the milestone releases, and it looks likethey have fixed the personalise tab back to be more slightly like the old properties window (which was easier to navigate)

chibicitiberiu

From the M1 they released to the beta testers, it is just an edited version of vista, but still. If it will be released in at least 2-4 years, it should be different, would it? Win98 SE and XP SP2 were released 1 or two years after the original version, but last major release was 2 years ago, and that was vista. So 4 years difference should make a difference, wouldn't it? Like win 95 and 98 (three years difference).

vonfeldt7

then again, second editions of things tend to be good

95 OSR2 - good
98 SE - good
XP SP2 - good
Server 2003 R2 - Good

methinks windows 7 will basically be what we expected vista to be, before they started rushing it, and cutting things out

p.s been looking at the screenies of the milestone releases, and it looks likethey have fixed the personalise tab back to be more slightly like the old properties window (which was easier to navigate)

Same...I heard that they were completely starting over, from scratch...however that was awhile ago, and may have been a rumor.

jdbennet

they did that with vista

they started building it, then server 2003 SP1 came along and they started again in places

Geoff

VIP Member
Vista was suppose to have several new features, one I was looking forward to was a new file system. Perhaps Windows 7 will change that...

/\E

I am hoping they make the file system more like a Mac, which will probably happen anyway. And I thought the registry was supposed to be gone?

jdbennet

getting windows users used to a UNIX tyle file system will confuse the hell otu of them

Tehy will be like "where the hell is my c drive,"

chibicitiberiu

Sry to kill the mystery, but the beta version's been leaked on several torrent sites.
I DID NOT MAKE THIS VIDEO! I do know the maker and it's legit. The maker is not the person who posted the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOMIZpo_R4

I don't see any difference between that build and vista. Or maybe there are some, but since I use xp, I don't know very well how vista is.

I think that vista is one of the worst Microsoft's releases in the 21st century. It slows down even the most powerful machines with it's useless processes (like that sidebar which as default is turned on), stupid "Glass Effect" (it looks nice, but applying the blur to the background really slows down computer), stupid effects. Wonder if all these can render my movies or compile my programs.
And 1 year after Vista Apple launched Mac OS X Leopard. The most visible features: visual interface. The menubar became transparent, the dock had a new look. At least they don't affect the performance and stability how vista does.

Well, I hope in Windows 7 will be eliminated those useless-memory-consuming processes, theme etc.
But until 2010 who knows what effects microsoft will put in it.
And I heart that the minimum system requirements for win 7 will remain same as windows vista.

jdbennet

it is vista basically

the files are marked as nt 6.1 build 6152
vista sp1 is nt6 build 6151

thats the way they always do it

the first build of longhorn was server 2003 + service packs + hotfixes + incremented version number

chibicitiberiu

Well, I wouldn't be to sure that win7 will be like a Second edition for vista like win 98 is. That is just a built that leaked from them, but looks like there is no other built leaking. You cannot know what's next, right?

Maybe vista was just an early beta for windows 7 and they are building it based on it. They probably released it because they needed money to continue the project. They saw that it didn't sold as well as xp, so they stopped selling xp retail. Now they will stop soon giving support for xp, to get more sells for vista.

I checked their website and searched for windows xp and this is all I found related to windows seven (except the newsgroup which is like a forum):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/eula.aspx

Last edited:

RRA_Incognito

Yea, I hope they Change the interface a bit from the current build of Vista. It's beautiful the way it is, but at this time, it just looks like a service pack.