Windows 7

PHATSPEED7x

Should I look to upgrade when it come out later this fall? Currently running Vista home premium on my laptop. So far no real complaints. My computer has the right hardware to run vista. I'm guessing it would run Windows 7 fine?

Thoughts?

Bodaggit23

Windows 7 is much "lighter" than Vista.

If you computer runs Vista well, it will run Windows 7 even better. :good:

PC Hobbyist

I've been using Win7 since April. I can't tell you how much better it is than Vista. It's like asking if it is different to ride a race horse or an elephant.

I just bought a laptop with Vista on it and I can't wait to get my free upgrade to Win7 once it comes out in October (until then, I will continue to use Win7 as dual boot). I would not have bought the laptop right now if Microsoft had not offered the free upgrade.

When did you buy your laptop? If it was this summer, and you have Vista Home Premium or above, you might be eligible for a free upgrade. But even if you are not, I would still spend the money on Win7 instead of keeping Vista.

Not Sure What You Guy's Are Talking About

Hi All,
I never get into these discussions about which OS is better. It's like arguing which coffee bean is best. I was an original adopter of XP Pro and use it at work and my two laptops. I like XP a lot and I know it well.

A year and a half ago I built a new computer. MS was saying that XP support would be discontinued; I don't remember the date but soon. I know MS has since extended the date. Vista was out and had a terrible forum reputation. After researcing the problem carefully, I concluded that most of the Vista problems were either due to driver compatability or games that were poorly written. I bought Vista Ultimate 32 ready to grind out some driver problems. I'm not a gamer.

Sure enough, I had some driver problems a couple of which were difficult. But I got them all sorted out and then had a chance to compare XP and Vista. I liked Vista far better than XP. The longer I use Vista, the better I like it. It is smooth, fast and reliable. Never a blue screen in spite of some torture I subjected it to. As time went on the drivers problems resolved itself.

This machine is built specifically to run Photoshop CS4 which is very computer and OS intensive. It's a big Intel Duo Core machine (4GB) running dual 500GB drives in a RAID 1 configuration with many peripherals hung on it. You know, three printers, two scanners (one a high resolution film scanner which generates 50MB files!), dual color calibrated 24" Eizo wide screen monitors (beautiful!), ext hard drives, graphics tablets, audio, dual DVD's, wireless network, and more. I have a lot of software installed. I found that Vista is a perfect platform for Photoshop; far better than XP. I consider Photoshop a real benchmark both for my computer hardware and the operating system.

I do not find Vista to be slow. I get irritated with the user protection scheme but it can be disabled if I am doing a lot Administrative jobs. I usually don't though. It's a good safeguard.

It's networking is excellent. It installs new software and drivers in a hassle free way. All in all, I think it is an excellent OS.

And no virus has penetrated my system.

All this said, what EXACTLY do you find to be better about Windows 7? Don't give me general BS. Be exact. And make note if you are a real Vista user.

Thanks, Sparky

Last edited:
win7 dude, its easily the best available now.

i find the overall experience better to be honest. i really like the desktop wallpaper slideshow feature, EVERYTHING works faster, boots times are extremely fast (less than 2 minutes to do a complete REBOOT), less annoying pop ups or other stupid warning windows, taskbar is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better (and better than a mac too IMHO), widgets / gadgets are cool and plentiful.

and taking all that into consideration, i really ENJOY win7 which might sound a bit gay but its true.

anywho, my 2 cents.