Windows 8.1 Pro for Home Use

CrescentChip

My question is an easy one but I actually had trouble getting a straight answer to. Can I use 8.1 pro like the basic one? I don't need all the business parts of pro but that is all I see to buy. Also if anyone can tell me where to purchase a cheap copy of Windows 8.1 Pro I would appreciate it. There was a place that just sold the software disc, no box or anything else, and it was deeply discounted. I have issues with Windows 10 that's why I don't want it. Thanks for your help.

beers

Staff member
Yep you can use it exactly the same way as home. It just has extra features like rdp and joining a domain. For general productivity they're the same experience.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most upgrades to 10 did have its issues but thats why after the upgrade you can choose to either reset the pc or do a fresh install of 10 and everything was worked out. You really never want to upgrade from one OS to another unless you had just did the fresh install of the previous OS. I would just recommend getting 10 and be done with it. Shouldn't have any issues with a fresh install.

beers

Staff member
I'd give fresh install a shot before dropping additional cash. Some of the upgrades have had lots of problems.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, the upgrade to 10 is still free but just not advertised. Use the media creation tool here to upgrade your pc to 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 This will give you a digital entitlement for 10. After installation and at desktop, 10 will activate and activation will be stored on their servers. You won't have to remember the key ever again. Then you can either backup your data and do a clean install or try resetting pc so that it saves all your data and just reinstalls 10. Be careful you don't choose to go back to previous OS.

CrescentChip

Remember when they were forcing Windows 10 down everyone's throat? Well I got it from Microsoft for free and, as far as gaming goes, it was giving me massive problems.
I'm going to try a few things to try to save my Windows. It seems the basic tasks like an sfc scan does not work anymore. I may come back here for more answers.

Darren

Staff member
Right click start button and run CMD (as Admin) or if you're on the Creator's update and later they switched it to Powershell. Once you learn to use that admin menu and Cortana search features then 10 becomes the easiest OS to use of any Windows IMO.

CrescentChip

I'd give fresh install a shot before dropping additional cash. Some of the upgrades have had lots of problems.
Thanks for the the suggestion. I should have done that in the first place. It would have saved me a lot of time. I didn't know all you had to do was insert the disc while on the Windows desktop, hit upgrade, and it fixed everything. I kept all my files and folders, I lost my customization, but that needed replacement anyway. My Windows files got corrupted, I couldn't even do a sfc scan and other basic tasks.

Darren

Staff member
Thanks for the the suggestion. I should have done that in the first place. It would have saved me a lot of time. I didn't know all you had to do was insert the disc while on the Windows desktop, hit upgrade, and it fixed everything. I kept all my files and folders, I lost my customization, but that needed replacement anyway. My Windows files got corrupted, I couldn't even do a sfc scan and other basic tasks.
You can always run sfc from safe mode, and if that doesn't even work boot to flash and into recovery command line.

8.1 is solid, don't get me wrong but just pointing out most people's dislike for 10 is frequently misplaced IMO. :)

CrescentChip

You can always run sfc from safe mode, and if that doesn't even work boot to flash and into recovery command line.

8.1 is solid, don't get me wrong but just pointing out most people's dislike for 10 is frequently misplaced IMO. :)

That's just it. The sfc scan wouldn't work in safe mode either. I think I had a serious issue. Anyway I decided to stay with Windows 7. Probably until it becomes obsolete like Windows XP. With regard to Windows 10, I'm just going by my experience, and many others I've talked to. I also understand Windows 10 is working impeccably for the majority of people.