Windows 8.1 Unresponsive Search

Gareth

Hey guys!

Its been a while :eek: I am at a loss, a complete loss, and hoping somebody can shine a light onto this situation. I have searched everywhere with no answers. I seem to have a problem with Windows 8.1 which did not exist in Windows 8. That is when I go onto the metro interface, and start typing to launch an app, the whole system freezes and becomes extremely unresponsive for about 50 seconds to 2 minutes. Clicking the tiles, ctrl-alt-del, nothing at all responds.... Then when it finally does respond, I find Windows Explorer using 100% of my CPU and does nothing till I force end Explorer and relaunch it manually.

I have re-installed Windows 8.1, changed all the settings so its not searching online etc, updated every driver, virus scanned, defragged, reg clean, you name it. I am at a complete loss, it was a feature I used constantly in Windows 8 and it searched and showed the app results immediately.

All I would like is to restore the search function I became very fond of in Windows 8 and would love to find a resolution, can anyone please help me at all?

The system spec is AMD E1-1200 / 16GB RAM / Radeon HD7310.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
Weird I have not seen this either, I honestly do not have a answer for you. Probably a bug or something which cause your hardware to freak out with certain function being used in Windows 8.1, a lot of people seem to be having problems with Windows 8.1.

Gareth

It is certainly something. Just extremely strange that it occurs on Windows 8.1 but was absolutely perfect on Windows 8. I do keep checking the Packard Bell website to see if any new drivers are out, and surprisingly there's something new every other day but still nothing to cure this bug.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Go into device manager and see what hardware your computer is running, then check through the hardware manufacture website for updated drivers. I had to do this to fix my wireless card, Sony claimed they had all the updated drivers for Windows 8.1 but they didn't and Intel had a new set of drivers available for my wireless card.