Windows 8 acting slow and laggy

Lukes111

So my hardrive crashed when I had windows 7. So then I got a new one installed windows 8 everything was fast games were faster. But then my hard drive crashed again so I got a new hardline and installed windows again. But this time it s laggy/slow my screen resolution is messed up it won t show up. What happened? How do I fix this it used to be fast enough to play games on high now they lag and can t even play on low!

Last edited:

Lukes111

Beeps the first time second time boot file was missing but now with the new hard rive the second time it is slowed down.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What brand of drives are you getting? Are these new drives or used ones? Are you turning the machine off properly?

Lukes111

Sea gate. New hard drives. Yes and no. I've reinstalled windows at least 3 times and it just is slow and laggy and the screen resolution won't be normal. It recon,ands the wrong one it should be 1600 by 900 but it recommends 1074 by 784 which makes it all stretched. Is it my computer?

Could it be a driver needs updated? It's just that weird the very first time I installed windows it worked great now it's slow and lags.

Here's the hard drive I'm using http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...ulti/8294632.p?id=1172880157923&skuId=8294632 And this is the one windows 8 ran perfect on http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...ulti/8490625.p?id=1186003683968&skuId=8490625

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check the device manager for any entry still needing a driver. Look under display adapter and tell me what it says.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats just a generic driver. Is this a store bought pc or custom built computer? Right click on that entry and click on properties, then click on the details tab, change the property to hardware id and give me the 4 digit vendor and device Id numbers. I need the 4 digits after ven_ and dev_

Lukes111

Store brought upgraded to 6gb of ram.
There's 4 so I'll list them in order

1002 after ven and 9710 after dev.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Download it and run it and the driver will install. Then you should be able to get the max resolution from your monitor.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it should. Look at your other drivers too like wireless, ethernet, sound, chipset. You should visit the computer makers website and look up model number to get a list of drivers for it. It might not have windows 8 drivers though as the hd4200 is somewhat dated now.

I think that for the screen resolution you need your graphics card drivers. For the "slow and laggy" check the specs needed for Win8. What is your GPU?