Windows 8 compatibility

mangofresh

if I were to build a computer now (spend about $700-$1000 total) will my specs be "good" enough to run windows 8? Any educated guesses? I'm just afraid if i buildn a computer now it won't be "compatible" with windows 8 and i'm planning on spending around 800 for my new computer.

spynoodle

if I were to build a computer now (spend about $700-$1000 total) will my specs be "good" enough to run windows 8? Any educated guesses? I'm just afraid if i buildn a computer now it won't be "compatible" with windows 8 and i'm planning on spending around 800 for my new computer.

I'm running Windows 8 Developer Preview on my rig with 2 gigs of RAM and a Pentium D. I think it actually uses less resources than Windows 7. ;)

spirit

Staff member
It would be fine for Windows 8, it's not going to a lot more if any resources than Windows 7, it may even use less (the Dev may already use less but you never know the full product may use more than the Dev). I'd say pretty much any machine that can run Vista/7 well will definitely be able to run Windows 8.

cabinfever1977

hes also probally wondering if the manufactures of all his computer parts will have window 8 compatible drivers...which they should sooner or later

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Windows 8 is under the development and it is not a good idea to run unfinished operating system(s) since most of the things are unfinished and untested.Run Windows 7 until Windows 8 is done.

StrangleHold

Staff member

If your building a new computer now with modern hardware. You wont have a problem with Windows 8. Unless you use some off brand LAN/sound/wireless and so on cards. That have never or wont never have good driver support.

jamesd1981

It is the consumer preview which is supposed to be the final release before going on sale in the 2nd half of the year.

It is to be available for download on the 29th.