Windows 98 antivirus install

FordRanger1999

Hi everyone. I have an old desktop running win98 that isn't able to connect to the internet (not hooked up). As far as I know there isn't an antivirus on it so before I hook it up I wanted to put something on there. Can I download the antivirus onto my laptop, transfer it over via thumb-drive and install it on to the desktop like that? thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You won't find much that still support 98. In fact you won't find any web browsers that support 98 anymore. What are you gonna be using the system for?

FordRanger1999

I have Test Drive 5 installed on there so I mostly use it for that but I would just use it for general browsing if there was a browser that would support it. :)

beers

Staff member
I wouldn't bother unless you had a very specific proxy/IPS setup that filtered out website responses.

As above, nothing supports 98 anymore and most sites use HTTPS, you won't be able to load anything that has any degree of vaguely new cipher suite (I think IE tops out at like SSL2.0 on that) so the sites will fail to load.

FordRanger1999

I wouldn't bother unless you had a very specific proxy/IPS setup that filtered out website responses.

As above, nothing supports 98 anymore and most sites use HTTPS, you won't be able to load anything that has any degree of vaguely new cipher suite (I think IE tops out at like SSL2.0 on that) so the sites will fail to load.
So theoretically if there was a browser that was supported I would only be able to use http sites? and what do you mean by proxy/IPS

corewill2003

Most modern viruses don't work on Windows 98, neither do most antiviruses, so you won't have to worry about that. You could use KernelEX to install modern(ish) software or install an older version of Firefox or Opera if you choose to browse the web. I use Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 10 on my laptop but I screw around with virtual machines so I know how to use Windows 98 in modern era.

FordRanger1999

Most modern viruses don't work on Windows 98, neither do most antiviruses, so you won't have to worry about that. You could use KernelEX to install modern(ish) software or install an older version of Firefox or Opera if you choose to browse the web. I use Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 10 on my laptop but I screw around with virtual machines so I know how to use Windows 98 in modern era.
Really? I'm assuming that they don't attack anymore because nobody uses 98? I wouldn't be using any personal info online, just in case. To install KernelEX, Firefox or Opera would I do it on my laptop and transfer it via USB? I believe its running the earlier version of 98 if that makes a difference.

corewill2003

Really? I'm assuming that they don't attack anymore because nobody uses 98? I wouldn't be using any personal info online, just in case. To install KernelEX, Firefox or Opera would I do it on my laptop and transfer it via USB? I believe its running the earlier version of 98 if that makes a difference.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's how it works my friend.