Windows 98 deletion

stalex111

Hello all,
Here's the story, i have a computer with windows 98 and windows 2000 on it. I did this so i wouldnt have to transfer all my data as it would automatically go on to windows 2000, as where if i formated the disk and then installed Win 2000, i would've saved the data on external drives, mass storage devices or other.
But now, i cant delete win 98, and its getting on my nerves, cuz its taking disk space.
Is there anyone out there who could help? If you need more information, or i wasnt clear, please tell me.
Regards, Stalex111

bigdogz4u2

To remove a Windows 98 installation while retaining Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 do the following:

Boot from the NT/2000/XP/2003 CD

Choose "Repair"

Select "Inspect Boot Sector"

Reboot

Edit BOOT.INI and remove old entries

Remove the Windows9x/ME files & folders plus the following files:

MSDOS.SYS

IO.SYS

If the Win9X OS was installed on a separate partition (see note below) you can now easily format that partition without loosing any W2K/XP/2003 configuration (as long as that partition is NOT the Primary Active partition!)

Note: When dual-booting always keep a separate partition for each OS. Never install 2 or more operating systems on the same partition because it will wreck havoc on you Program Files folder!

Source: http://www.petri.co.il/remove_windows_98.htm