Windows Crash on New Mobo Installation

jkenny

I am new to computer building and I just installed a new motherboard in my Dell desktop. I started it up and everything was fine but when I go to start windows it crashes about thalf a second into the startup screen. The motherboard I just installed is an MSI PM8M-V my processor is a Celeron D.

Geoff

VIP Member
Because once you change a major part such as the motherboard, there is a high likely hood of windows not working correctly. To solve the problem, you will need to re-install windows.

jkenny

I just tried to boot from CD and it crashed again. It just gets as far as "Windows is inspecting your hardware configuration" and the PC shuts off. Is there perhaps a bios setting that needs to be edited or something, the manual that came with the motherboard wasn't to explanatory.

Update: Hmm... My CPU might be overheating, theres an automatic CPU shutdown temperature selection. It appears that was the problem, so far...

Update: Now, it seems I have a rather bad CPU overheaating problem. I set the shutoff temperature to 203 F and during installation it shut off again. @ idle in the BIOS menu it is running at 84 C.

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
:eek: If you're getting those temps, you couldn't have properly installed the CPU HSF. Make sure the HSF is firmly seated, and you've used an appropriate amount of thermal paste.

PC eye

banned
With a temp that high the overheat protection circuit on the board went into action and switched everything off fast before permanent damage occured. When reseating the HSF you will want to use a quality thermal compind like Artic Silver 5 to avoid any further mishaps there. Upon reseating that the next item is to either perform a repair to install with XP or delete the current installation for a fresh start due to XP's hardware profiling. The current can be deleted without an entire wipe of your hard drive through the options seen with the XP installer. Plus you will then need to install the drivers/softwares for that model board from the enclosed cd that came with it.

jkenny

Well, on another note, what should be the proper voltages and etc. for a Intel® Celeron® D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 FSB). It looks like the HSF is definitely making good contact, I think there is a deeper problem to it unfortunately. I have felt the heatsink, and it is hot. The problem is not that, my processor is just outputting way too much heat. Well, it looks a mess, but i slapped a fan and another heatsink on there as a quick fix. So far its survived, I'll try to update the bios as quickly as I can to see if that helps.

Last edited: