Windows Firewall, private, public, on , off ???????

Shinnen

Hi,
I'm using Windows 10; and am finding the jargon around whether to turn Private or Pubic firewalls on or off, very confusing. Right now their both on, and I'm connected to the Public network. I use this desktop only for surfing and checking emails. It is not connected to any other computers in my home. Should I have both network firewalls turned on?
Thanks,
....... john

beers

Staff member
Pubic firewalls
1606407914700.png

Usually it's more of a 'zone' approach, you can define what SSIDs or networks are discoverable etc. Usually defaults are fine, unless you're trying to port forward specific services inbound then you'd need exceptions.

Shinnen

Hi beers,
Right .... well, that's the problem for me, that word "discoverable". What exactly does that mean? I don't have a connection with any other computers ......... oops, websites are run by computers. So what are we referring to when we say 'discoverable'? The reason I was considering turning off the firewall on one of my networks was to improve performance. I only have 2 gigs of ram, on Windows 10, and want to turn off anything that will needlessly slow things down.
Thanks,
......... john

Shinnen

Hi John,
I can't. Apparently this computer will not take any more than 2x1gig.
I'm using an SSD drive so it's not too bad; but I have to avoid any unnecessary memory sinks.
Thanks,
........john

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then you are running an ancient pc that shouldn't be running windows 10. What pc do you have?

Shinnen

Hi John,
Ancient? Oh yes, for sure. It's a Dell Dimension 3100.
But I love the challenge:p.
....... john

beers

Staff member
Then you are running an ancient pc that shouldn't be running windows 10. What pc do you have?
You can "run" W10 on 1 GB.

It's much more of a walk though.

Oh @Shinnen if you use the 32 bit version your apps will use less memory overhead. Although at this point in the game a lot of apps are only being compiled for 64 bit extensions.

Shinnen

Hi beers,
This is Windows 10 Home, and it's 32 bit. I think the processor is 64 bit. I have no idea if that matters at all. It runs OK, if you're not in a hurry. I've heard that it 'might' take two 2gig ram strips, but I haven't got around to trying it yet. I suspect the SSD makes a big difference.
...... john

Shinnen

Hi John/beers,
Well, I guess it depends on how much speed you want. I'm not prepared to lay out the bucks for something faster, so I'll have to work with what I have. It's not really that bad.
I've read, somewhere, that poeple have had success getting this thing to take 4 gigs (2x2) even though the specs say not.
Thank you both for your help.
....... john

beers

Staff member
So what are we referring to when we say 'discoverable'?
If you hit 'yes' when connecting and it prompts you 'should this be discoverable?' it will allow other computers to connect to things like shared folders from that same subnet, so if you had another PC then you would be able to connect to those and see the PC on the network map.

Choosing 'no' just firewalls off the requests and you wouldn't get a response, so it treats it like a McDonalds wifi or something where you don't really want other crap connecting to you. A lot of modern prosumer/enterprise wifi setups filter out client to client direct communications though, but you'd still want that either way in that situation.

Shinnen

Hi Beers,
I guess the term I'm having trouble with is 'computers'. The internet is comprised of computers in networks, so ...... ??
.... john