windows hangs/becomes very sluggish and will not read dvd

mrJv

i have a TEAC DV-W516GDM, brand new dvd writer. black, even :)
whenever i pop in a DVD that is semi-unreadable/unreadable, the drive starts spinnging and keeps spinning it forever (wont even spit it out, i have to use the paperclip). during this time windows gets very sluggish and i start getting errors like: utorrent says it cant save it's resume file and winamp cannot advance to the next song. LE: oh, and the system is virtually unusable by now... anything i try is queued, i have to wait for a task to switch, for the task manager to appear... the music will still play, tho! no stutter, no nothing. just when the track ends, the next doesn't start...
by "semi-unreadable" i mean those DVD's that work to some extent. eg: the autorun program pops up but i cant access the disc in explorer
with even worse DVD's i only have to put one in the drive and things start to stink...
what can i do? i know some DVD's are just plain bad (noname ones) and the good ones dont give me trouble but i still need the data on the bad ones (needless to say i've learned my lesson and it's all brand named DVD's from now on for me)

Last edited: