Windows Installation Disks from companies

Briguy

I have run across this with some computer manufactures, that the restoration disk to load windows with does not have the repair option and only allows you to do a clean install of windows. This can be troublesome when I want to do a repair install of Windows. I have a question would it be ok to use a oem version of the operating system to do a repair install? I'm worried that it might not have all the drivers for the motherboards out there ect. If that's true could I then use the original restore disk from the company to install the drivers?

Would that work?

tlarkin

VIP Member
You can download the XP or Vista boot disks from MS and boot off them, then boot into recovery console or pick to repair and it may work off your restore CD. Not sure if it will or not.

Briguy

You can download the XP or Vista boot disks from MS and boot off them, then boot into recovery console or pick to repair and it may work off your restore CD. Not sure if it will or not.

Once in the recovery console then what do I do? Does it allow me to do a repair install? If so what is the procedure to do that?