Windows Lincensing...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I have around 5-8 computres in HOME USE using the same COA, I never use it for businses, just home... I was told that this was OK as long as this was not used for business... Is that correct?

Deepblue

nope

Quote from a Windows XP retail box

" For Installation and use on one computer ( see License Agreement for License terms )
you must accept the enclosed License Agreement before you can use this product. If you do not accept the terms of the License agreement, you should promptly return the product for a refund. To review the License Agreement go to www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula. etc etc etc "

there is a lot more such as if you have Windows XP Upgrade version you must stop using the version of windows you are upgrading from

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
Just run Linux on them. It isn't terribly hard, though I don't have much experience with it.

Deepblue

if you want more proof you can go to your nearest bestbuy and read it off the box yourself. I still have my XP pro boxes and i copied that from one.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
K thanks guys currently installing Linux..

Will Office 2k, Halo, Java, shockwave, printer drivers, and video drivers work?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
You cannot use any M$ programs on Linux. Neither can you use the driver you would on Xp, Or even play the games.

It's a Window Xp pro OS disc

Yeah. :)

Deepblue

Sorry for the questions...

Can I boot from an Upgrade disk?
you can boot with a upgrade disk as long a you have a CD of the windows version you are upgrading from or you can have it installed already and you wont need the CD.

But as per M$ you can only upgrade one COA with any single upgrade COA and once Upgraded you are no allowed to use the earlier version anymore.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
You need a earlier version of windows to install an upgrade disc OS, but not to boot from the disc afterwards, I should know, I do it all the time.