Windows live messenger 2011 error

sg1

I have just reinstalled Win7 and all my usual programs etc.

When I try to sign into Windows live messenger it keeps telling me that the service is unavailable ,:-
Capture-1.png
however other users can sign in through my pc and I can sign in on my mobile phone or if I use the web based version of windows live messenger OR a program such as Pidgin, so that rules out the username/password being wrong. I also cannot sign in on my partners pc using the same router so I tried rebooting the router by turning it off for 20 seconds and back on again- still nothing!!!!

Is this just a server glitch 'their end' or something closer to home?

atvb

sg1

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried a previus version of WLM?

Their new version gave me nothing but trouble,Im using a version 2009 live which i got from oldapps.com,Works perfect.

Im not saying this is the fix at all,Im just saying worth a try if you cant get that version to work.

jamesd1981

yeah same here i have tried it 5 or 6 times on xp, vista and 7, and get the same meaasge as you, seems to install fine but wont let you log on, ive messed around with firewall, nothing seems to work

sg1

I did try the pre 2011 version and got same issues, it's strange why everyone else can sign in on my pc except me and I CAN sign in through web based version and mobile version :confused::confused::confused: .

I will now try the 2009 version.

atvb

sg1

dellxps420

banned
I have just reinstalled Win7 and all my usual programs etc.

When I try to sign into Windows live messenger it keeps telling me that the service is unavailable ,:-
Capture-1.png
however other users can sign in through my pc and I can sign in on my mobile phone or if I use the web based version of windows live messenger OR a program such as Pidgin, so that rules out the username/password being wrong. I also cannot sign in on my partners pc using the same router so I tried rebooting the router by turning it off for 20 seconds and back on again- still nothing!!!!

Is this just a server glitch 'their end' or something closer to home?

atvb

sg1

Windows live messenger 11 is rubbish mate crashes all the time just downgrade to a lower version you will be better off.

sg1

I will now try the 2009 version.

atvb

sg1

I wiped out the new 2011, and installed the 2009 version...same result except this time it's saying my contact list is unavailable???

I wonder if it's an IP error of sorts?? but then again, it works through Pidgin!!

ATVB

sg1:confused:

sg1

Right, I've just tried logging in with 2011 version through my office PC in garage and it signs in no problem what so ever and it also signs in using my partners PC in the house but the kids PC won't sign into it and neither will both our laptops. But ALL the computers will sign other people in??

I did notice that mine is the only msn.com addy and everyone elses is co.uk but that shouldn't make any difference at all . it's got to be to do with the framework or something but would that allow certain msn accounts to sign in and not others??

atvb

sg1

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a log in account on the kids computer? If so your profile on that computer may be corrupted. Make yourself a new account and try logging in. You may also want to scan for malware on that system.

sg1

I'm 99.9% sure that a new acc will sign in no problem but why will it sign in other people no problem on certain pc's and me on certain pc's but not on others that I never usually sign in on ?

atvb

sg1

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not a new live account, I'm talking about making a new user account on the computer. How many user accounts are setup on the computer that you can't sign into?

sg1

I can't sign in on my laptop which has only one account and I can't sign in on the kids pc which has 2 accounts but I can sign in on my office pc which also only has one account!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make new user accounts and see if maybe the user account is corrupt. The only other thing I can suggest is to reinstall windows as something isn't right.

sg1

@Johnb35,

Hey that seems to have done the trick!!

I made another admin acc in win7, went online and downloaded the windows live installer and installed just the messenger part without all the Bing Bar stuff etc, tried signing in and it worked!! So I then logged out and switched to my original admin user acc which now had the freshly installed messenger and it signed in perfect:) .

Thanks bud, I'm still not sure exactly what was wrong but it works now so THANK you:good:

atvb

sg1