Windows Mail

Gill

Yesterday I could not send/receive emails and ended up phoning Virgin Media for help - a lady altered some settings - didnt seem to sort it, phoned again, a gent altered some settings then over 600 emails were in my inbox - emails I had already received and read so I didnt want them all again. He said there was nothing he could do.....

Rang this morning in the hope of speaking to someone in the UK and did - lady said it wasnt really their problem to solve but she did change something and the 600plus emails started arriving again!!!!! She said these emails are coming from my ntlworld address.

Does anyone know exactly what the settings are supposed to be please?? I also thought I could do a restore system and take my computer back to a few days ago when it was running okay but I cannot put in a restore date eg. Monday 10 July. It seems I have to have a restore date of today or January 17 which they say is too old. If anyone can help me get my computer back on track, I will be eternally grateful and thank you in advance.

My server is POP3 and the in mail POP3 is pop3.virginmedia.com The outgoing mail SMTP is smtp.virginmedia.com. Out smtp is 465 and in 995.

beers

Staff member
POP3 dumps everything from the server to you.

IMAP is more stateful and coordinates with contents on the server.

I'd see if you can roll an IMAP setup instead.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Don't understand. Go into your email program and change the setting to leave mail on server and choose to delete mail once downloaded or something similar. It downloaded your email correct?

Gill

Thank you very much for your replies, much appreciated. I cannot even use my email now, it is asking for my user name and password. I could not remember my password last night so the lady changed it and she told it me, but it doesnt work! It is so frustrating.

Ideally what I would like to do is restore my computer to Monday, 10 July - can you tell me how to do that please.

I am sorry but need step by step instructions as I never go deeper into my computer to settings etc. I dont know how to roll an IMAP setup nor go into email program and change the settings - sorry - thanks.

Gill

Thank you so much for your reply, I do appreciate it. I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.

The password the lady put in does not work. Nor can I see any options to re-do/change the password etc.

Are the settings correct:-
pop3.virginmedia.com
incoming mail POP3
incoming mail pop3.virginmedia.com
out smtp.virginmedia.com
unticked the boxes for secure password and outgoing mail server authentication
advanced 465 and 995 both boxes ticked for secure connection

Thanks a lot.

Gill

Thank you for your reply. I did do a restore and it was back to January 17 but afterwards, it didnt make any difference to the Windows Mail.

I had a good think about passwords and I put in the password which logs me into my Virgin Media email and it worked. But, then, my inbox was full of hundreds of emails again and they have started travelling into my Windows Mail.

Beers said earlier that POP3 dumps everything from the server to me so could you please tell me what I need to do to stop these hundreds of emails travelling into my Windows Mail box. Many thanks.

Gill

The first link in your last message is about IMAP or POP. I have made notes and am I right in changing the POP settings to IMAP settings? If so, when I put my email address in, which is [email protected] - on the link, they have put [email protected]. Are they just using [email protected] as an example - or do I actually put in my actual email address which is [email protected]

Very very sorry to be asking as when you know all the answers, I imagine questions from people who dont know all the answers seem really stupid questions. Thanks again.

Gill

Mind you, thinking about it, the minute I click on Windows Mail, those hundreds of emails are in my inbox waiting to spill into my email system. Am I going to have to let them come in and finish before I go into the settings to alter the POP3 to IMAP. Thanks again.

Gill

Hello and thanks very much for your reply and the link. Last night I sat and wrote down all the info to alter the settings which are in the link you provided. When it says enable, I presume that means I have to tick the box. Disabled is without a tick in the box? Good idea to do the settings disconnected to the internet then I wont receive those hundreds of emails - thanks for that. Fingers crossed I get it right - phew !

Gill

I have been in the settings whilst off-line. In General, I have altered the mail account to imap.virginmedia.com.

In Server, the incoming mail server is POP3. I cannot alter that and do I need to alter it??

I have altered incoming mail (POP3) to imap.virginmedia.com.
I have altered outgoing mail (SMPT) to smtp.virginmedia.com.

I can send mail but I cannot receive mail. Please can you point out what I need to do please? Thanks a lot. I am puzzled that the incoming mail server is POP3.

Gill

Hello again, so I can send emails but cannot receive, I must have done something wrong. A message comes up

Account imap.virginmedia.com Server imap.virginmedia.com Protocol POP3 Server, Server Response OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready (e4c558782 VM) Port 993, Secure (SSL) Yes, Server Error 0x800CCC90, Error Number 0x800CCC90.

Help please, I obviously havent done some of the settings correctly. Thanks a lot, feel like I am nearly there.

Gill

Hello again, I realise now that I cannot change the POP3, (sorry), what you meant was to set up a brand new email with the server name being imap.

I emailed the Executive Complaints Team last night and they replied asking me for a time and a phone no. to ring me and a gent phoned me this afternoon and explained it all to me, well he tried to - bless him. We did set up another Windows Mail with imap but it became confusing for me (there's a surprise) so we deleted it for the time being. We have the setting wrong - the POP3 - so that I dont get hundreds of emails. I need to go on my Virgin Media email and try and delete them all I think.

Putting everything to one side for a moment, when my Windows Mail was working correctly this week, what settings would have been for the incoming and outgoing mail? I ask because prior to the problems, when I clicked on "receive" I wasnt receiving all those emails that was mentioned about POP3 dumping everything from the server to me? Thanks a lot and I apologise for my lack of knowledge - sorry. Please dont give up on me........

Gill

I do have a gmail account and I have email with Virgin Media but I prefer the Windows Mail.

There are only 37,433 emails on my Virgin Media account that I have to delete! The VM a/c has been in place since 2009 and I didnt even know it was there! I have 2 accounts with VM and knew about the first but not the second.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your provider should be able to get you squared away. You need to get your login information(username/password) set first and then figure out if you want Imap or pop account, then enter correct server info. Can you access website for virgin media email and change setting delete email from server once downloaded? I'm not familiar with how UK email works.

Gill

Hello again. Today I have been in the VM email account with over 37,000 emails in and deleted them all which was very quick and easy, not at all repetitive. I have changed my server on Windows Mail back to POP3, otherwise I cannot receive emails. I now have the settings to delete emails after 1 day as you recommend in your last post. So pretty much sorted.

But what I find puzzling, up to 8pm on 12 July, my Windows Mail was working fine. But since then, if I have the POP3 setting, those hundreds of emails just automatically arrived in my Windows Mail inbox. That is what I dont understand as that was not happening prior to 12 July. Can anyone throw any light on this please. Thanks a lot for all your help, much appreciated.

(Deleting the hundreds of emails on Windows Mail was very very repetiive and time consuming as the system wasnt as good as the VM system - but done now, thank goodness).