Windows Media Player 11 Won't Start

Michael

First off, I have Vista Basic installed on this machine and up until yesterday, last night actually, Windows Media Player 11 has worked almost 100% of the time.. the exception would be an occasional (very seldom, happened maybe 2-3 times over the last 6 months) freeze.. Now, when I try to start it up, whether through a shortcut, the Start menu or directly from the .exe file in the programs directory, the following message;

'Windows Media Player Has Stopped Working'
'A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available'

There was no solution available, and I've found nothing on google that was specific to this case.

I've changed nothing.. it just started doing this out of nowhere =/

Any ideas?

patrickv

very hard to give a solution as you know cause u cant even reinstall MP anymore, try repair, what else can i say ?

Michael

Exactly my point, no cause should = no problem, right?

Regardless, I'm looking really looking for a solution, I'm aiming more towards common fixes for WMP11.

I'm going to go ahead and repair the wmp dll and see if that'll do anything, but I have a feeling that'll screw something else up, as most of the Microsoft based programs are intertwined in Vista =/

patrickv

Exactly my point, no cause should = no problem, right?

Regardless, I'm looking really looking for a solution, I'm aiming more towards common fixes for WMP11.

I'm going to go ahead and repair the wmp dll and see if that'll do anything, but I have a feeling that'll screw something else up, as most of the Microsoft based programs are intertwined in Vista =/

i found this
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#sattv
dunno if it will be of any help

Michael

That's exactly what I did after my last reply, and it worked! ..however, there are broken tool bars in WMP11 now :(

Sadly, I knew the day would come when I'd be forced to re-install Vista.. I just didn't think it would be so soon :/

Thanks for your help :)

May I ask why you have 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time' in your sig? I recently started playing that game again.. I remember playing it on the N64, this time around I've got my wireless Xbox 360 controllers and a 20" LCD :D

-mak

patrickv

May I ask why you have 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time' in your sig? I recently started playing that game again.. I remember playing it on the N64, this time around I've got my wireless Xbox 360 controllers and a 20" LCD :D
-mak

i have it cause my avatar, right now am a Zora, so if i change to a windwaker character, my sig changes too, example if i make myself Komali, id change to windwaker, i love this game, brings back good ol memories :D

Michael

Oohh very cool :D

I wish I had more time to play the game.. but with my Vista screwing up, I imagine I'll be re-installing soon and recovering all of my lost programs, leaving me without a computer to play it on :(