Windows Media Player not working!!

jalo1570

I cant play music or see any movies on my laptop. I try to open wmp and it does nothing. Any solutions??

running win 7

jalo1570

not at all !!

only error I see is "server execution failed" not sure if that is wmp related

can it be an infection? I tried downloading vlc player and it wont allow me to

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do an sfc /scannow command in the search box. Put your OS cd in the drive beforehand.

jalo1570

problem with doing sfc /scannow is that I dont have OS cd it didnt come with my laptop

and I have tried install vlc player but it doesnt allow me to a error comes up

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you getting the same error when installing vlc? Have you tried doing a system restore back to when you could play everything? If the system restore don't help then you'll have to perform a system recovery.

jalo1570

when i try to install vlc it says setup.exe has stopped working and will not allow me to anything else.

I tried system restore but no luck ,will I need a cd for the system recovery?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
If you don't have a Windows disk,then try to clean your registry with Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and after that check your HDD for errors using the following command in the command prompt:

CHKDSK C: /f /r /x

I am not saying this would help since something is seriously wrong with your OS,but there is a small chance it can.If not then you WILL need Windows 7 disk to either repair it or completely reinstall it.

jalo1570

tried using Eusing free registry cleaner it did nothing ,it actually got stuck and never finished ,also did the chkdsk and didnt find nothing wrong

so looks like I might have to do a new install !!

funny thing I went to system in control panel , cpu and memory both say not available,what's that all about??

jalo1570

malwarebytes didnt work ,wont allow me to install it..Looks like reinstall its gonna have to be....this sucks !!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly happened when trying to install it? There are some malware out there that will stop malwarebytes from running or installing.