windows media player

jedccop

I am having a problem?,when i put a cd to rip in wmp it says at the end of the rip.....it did not reconnise it and it is unknown....jedcop

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try using different brand of cd but I have a feeling that the cd burner drive is going out.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I had to replace my gf's dvd burner the other day because she uses windows media player to burn music cd's and it kept erroring. Once I put in a different burner, it worked like it should. Pretty straightforward to replace a dvd burner drive if thats truly whats wrong with it. Have someone help you do it if you are unsure of yourself.

Last edited:

_Pete_

If you do not think that you are able to replace an internal DVD player you could always buy an external one, that will plug into your USB port. They do tend to be slower than an internal player but do work. They are quite cheap on Ebay.

jedccop

how do I replace my dvd burner drive(if that's the case)how do I know which one to buy/how do I get the one out and put another in?

_Pete_

You did actually read my post above this didn't you? You will have to buy the specific player for your machine. They are usually held by one small screw and then whole assembly slides out. Putting the replacement player in is the reverse. As I said much easier, and probably much much cheaper, to buy an external USB DVD player. Slughtly slower but I very much doubt that you would notice any difference.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
how do I replace my dvd burner drive(if that's the case)how do I know which one to buy/how do I get the one out and put another in?
My advice would be to have someone familiar with computers help you. If its for a desktop its more then just a screw, as it depends a lot on what case you have. If its for a laptop, then its somewhat different/easier more expensive depending on how you look at it.

AlienMenace

What kind of computer do you have? Is it a laptop or is it a desktop. Who makes it? Is it a Hp, Dell or whatever?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since its a laptop, it would be cheaper for you to buy an external usb dvd burner drive. Laptop drives tend to be double the price and then you have to change the faceplate.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Without knowing what stores are in your area and what they carry, really can't recommend anything. Do you use any online stores? I know you aren't from the USA.