Windows not working

lee101

VIP Member
A couple of hours ago i turned my pc on, everything happenedas usual,i chose to boot from xp pro, i logged in and then it started loading everything up, but then 10-20seconds later it just froze, the HDD activity LED stayed on but everything else stopped, the mouse wouldn't move and no keyboard shortcuts worked.
At first i assumed it was just a one off thing but i have restarted multiple times and nothing has happened, i tried booting into vista (the other os installed) and everuthing worked fine, so it ried xp again but it just sn't working, so now i have got rid fo vista, installed xp so it is dual boot with 2 copys of xp and been trying to get it working.
I hope the answer to this isn't to format the HDD as i have about 40 gigs of documents, but no where to put them (seriously no where, the only other largish hard drive i have is 30 gig not formatted, and that is in use in a laptop, and i only have 3 dvd's, or 20 cd's)

fade2green514

try putting it in another system, yours or someone elses. thats a tough problem, id say try another installation on there, but u said u tried that... if that doesnt work then i dono what to tell you except put it in another comp that works.
Jiffyman said:
You could try doing a repair.
that rarely works... ive tried. i guess its worth a try though, you need to boot from windows xp cd in order to do that, so you know.

lee101

VIP Member
i tried a repair, but the option wasn't there on my windows cd, so that didn't work, and when i have done a repair before it just left me with fresh windows install basically, it left everything there but all the shortcuts were gone
it seems like i am having to do a fresh install, now i just have to get an external hdd :D, anyone know ony good ones, preferably with network connection

Antiodontalgic

What was the last thing you installed?

Sometimes if something isnt WHQL Verified it will keep locking up your windows or cause memory dumps.

So.. if you got a new driver for your video card or what ever try to uninstall before it freezes

(It happened to me before)

Last edited:

lee101

VIP Member
hmm, last thing i installed, i think that would be the wifi card, which has been in there since the beginning of jan now, and i installed that with the latest drivers from the net, but before that it was a brand new build so everything went in at once, i can't even start in safe mode

ckfordy

banned
lee101 said:
i can't boot into safe mode, it is shift that you press [repeatedly] isn't it?

go to start, run, type msconfig, go to the boot tab and go down to boot options and check safeboot and that should get you into safemode.

lee101

VIP Member
Yay, i fixed it, got into safe mode and stopped a few things at a time, it turned out that windows Live messenger BETA was just freezing everything, thanks for the help everyone!
and now i know how to start in safe mode :p
edit: right, now i want to stop the dual boot thing, do i just format the partition with the second os? i don't want to rush into anything and start breaking something else

Last edited: