Windows or Linux

• Windows

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Linux

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PCunicorn

Hey Nerdgirl, as spirit said, you should use the multi-quote button to the right of the quote button.

For me, Windows. Has all the games and it's just to difficult to do everything on Linux compared to Windows. Plus it's prety easy to accidentally brick a Linux install.

Im sure if I really tried I could get used to it, but it'll never get all the games.

silv55

Hey Nerdgirl, as spirit said, you should use the multi-quote button to the right of the quote button.

For me, Windows. Has all the games and it's just to difficult to do everything on Linux compared to Windows. Plus it's prety easy to accidentally brick a Linux install.

Im sure if I really tried I could get used to it, but it'll never get all the games.

Yes; i agree on that one, if you are a video gamer than you should go win for sure.

NerdGirl1313

Ummmmm... Does it matter. I don't have to use that.

spynoodle

I get the impression that for the most part, the computer-savvy community is split between Linux and Windows mainly based on the lack of support for gaming and professional photo/video editing in Linux. For general-purpose web browsing and office work or schoolwork, Linux has many advantages, including but not limited to its price, flexibility, superior hardware driver management, superior file system, and far greater security. My daily OS is Linux Mint, although like many others, I find myself occasionally having to turn to my Windows dual boot to handle the occasional unsupported program.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Linux is great when paired with open source software as that is the only way you truly own your software in terms of rights. Linux is a far more robust system, usually (not always) when I have seen a Linux system break it is often user error whereas I have seen Windows break over the most stupid sh*t.

On the flip side Windows offer's more management tools in the GUI allowing users to be able to more quickly change setting's on the machine. Wider variety of software to include more security to ensure your system is safe.

Two things I want to fix in above comments though is the office comment and lack of viruses in Linux. First off with what people do Libre usually does do just fine however if that is not the case for some you could use an office 365 subscription and have access to office online which is far superior to google docs. If that does not work you can use a paid program called cross over and install office 2010 (still widely used) and run office in Linux with no problems.

We often talk about how there are no viruses in Linux but this is just not true, one was recently discovered which has been effecting Linux servers in government entities for over four years now. Android which is linux has been plagued with infections.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/12/government-spying-turla-linux-trojan-found

We often don't hear about as Linux users download software from a secure source (repositories), keep their machines up to date and are a little more careful. However the concern is if an infection is well written and infects your Linux box and is not designed to crash the machine but more capture data since there are no good AV (clamAV does not count) then how are you sure you are not infected. Do you daily look at your processes or dig through all your directories for suspicious items? Linux generally does not get viruses but unfortunately Linux is not bullet proof anymore and there are no software to ensure the system is clean.

pane-free

Ummmmm... Does it matter. I don't have to use that.
+1
Substance over form || functionality over eye-candy!

Since 2009, this month is the first time I have used anything other than a GNU/Linux distro. I'm putting together a sleeper PC and decided to use an OEM disk of Win7 I've been hanging onto since 2013. It's now a dual-boot -- Win7 and Robolinux64-lxde-v7.7.1.

Will either sell it or use it for the forseeable future myself. Maybe it's time to not be so hardcore.

Happy Holidays to all!

I prefer Linux first because of its requirements, speed, reliablity and security. I can run Windows XP on VirtualBox smootly with Ubuntu but when comes to Windows when I install Windows XP on VirtualBox and running Windows, its very slow. When comes to security, there are no viruses for Linux, so I don't need to worry about downloading antiviruses, cleaning registry and stuff... When comes to reliablity, it doesn't crash every time something is wrong... It just says: Ubuntu had an internal error and you continue without restarting PC. I had an Acer Aspire One AOA110 that died because of BIOS problems... I could not flash the BIOS because it didn't boot from the USB... It had 0,99 GB of ram, and it runned perfectly on Ubuntu...
P.S I WANT MY LAPTOP BACK... :(