Windows reinstall question

Daggerdream

I feel like such a loser asking this, but does reinstalling Windows 98 (Or any Windows) delete everything on your computer? Applications, documents, etc. If it does, does upgrading delete everything??? What would be the better thing to do do. Because I really need those files. What be the better option, reinstalling or upgrading to XP or 2000??? :confused: :confused: :confused: I really need help on this.

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher

VIP Member
I think it'd be best to backup all the files you want to keep (perhaps on another computer/hard drive or burn them to some CDR's) then do a fresh install.

Daggerdream

The problem is I can't even get to the logon screen. It says "Explorer is missing" or something like that. It says reinstall Windows 98. Any way to fix that. I have a backup explorer file on a cd and on my hard drive and I can't even put them in to the windows directory. Any way to do that in DOS/ command prompt. If I can I don't even need to upgrade or reinstall.

[tab]

[...]
You can install Win98 on top of itself and keep your old settings/programs. Otherwise you can install into a different directory to have a completely fresh installation, then you'll at least be able to access your old files.

jbob

Daggerdream said:
I feel like such a loser asking this, but does reinstalling Windows 98 (Or any Windows) delete everything on your computer? Applications, documents, etc. If it does, does upgrading delete everything??? What would be the better thing to do do. Because I really need those files. What be the better option, reinstalling or upgrading to XP or 2000??? :confused: :confused: :confused: I really need help on this.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris:

Like Tab said, putting in your 98 cd and reinstalling 98 "on top of" your messed up install will not hurt anything and is probably the best route. If you install it to the same original windows folder, then you should not even have to reinstall any of your existing apps. And all your docs, etc will be intact. If you tell it to install 98 into a different new windows folder like windows2 or something, then it writes out a whole new registry and you would have to reinstall any windows apps to get them to work. Either way you go, your docs and stuff will be accessible.

Hope this helps,

Jim

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Mowk, man, this thread is kinda old. Look at the date... it's from 2004. Here's a hint: go to User CP -> Edit options, and find "Thread Display Options". There's a "Thread Age Cutoff" option - choose something like show messages from last week or 2 days or whichever one you prefer, and any really old messages won't even be shown.

Cheers mate ;) enjoy your stay!