windows search not working and cannot download

adamussg

I am trying to help my brother out with a laptop he recently aqquired from his deceased father in law. A clean install is out of the question because regardless of what I tell his wife about backing up files, she refuses to let me do it due to some of her fathers stuff being on here.... ok, here's what I've got...
Toshiba Satellite
centrino duo 1.73ghz
1 ghz ram
windows vista

Heres the problem. I can access internet, but cannot download anything. When I attempt to dwnload, it says the webpage doesn't respond. I think I found a solution but I need to access a cmd prompt in order to do so. When I attempt to type cmd into the search window, It says search failed to initialize. I then entered indexing options, reset to default, and rebuilt the index... restarted and retried. Search still failed to initialize. I did some research and found that windows search update 4.0 was flawed and I uninstalled it. It still will not work. I need to get the search function working, so that I can address the other issues this computer is having. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kosh

go into msconfig be sure all services are enabled.if certain services are diabled it can cause downloads not to work.

in the case of cmd prompt not working.goto the windows folder system 32 scroll down till ya see msconfig.

Last edited: