That error "kerberos" just means you are not running a domain
And therefore can be ignored

Also try this: (diagnostic test)
1) Type msconfig in the search box, press ENTER,
2) Go to Services tab,
3) UNCHECK cryptography services (that's the Kerberos service),
4) Click APPLY,
5) Restart computer.

I don't see how cryptography and kerberos are even related, as kerberos is just an authentication tool based on a ticketing system, where as cryptography has a very broad use.

If the Cryptography service is disabled, either manually or through a Group Policy operation, or its support files are damaged, a great variety of things can go wrong. Application installs may fail with a warning that the integrity of a file could not be verified or that it has not passed Windows Logo testing, that a digital signature could not be found, or that a package was not signed properly.

source: http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1040220,00.html

There are a lot of security features stuck in that service. Not sure I would want to disable it.

Now kerberos probably sends and receives tickets over an encrypted connection, that is secure. You wouldn't want kerberos tickets sitting in clear text, that would make them easy to spoof.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
So do you have any idea what I should do. Everything seems to work perfectly. I can transfer files between hard drives if I remote into the computer so I don't think it's an actual hard drive issue. I can also copy files off of the computer perfectly fine. I did move the swap file to one of the sata drives. What I'm thinking about doing is trying the 10/100 card that's built into the motherboard and see if it still crashes if I use that. If it doesn't then it has to be something to do with the gigabit nic or the fact that I'm using gigabit.

tlarkin

VIP Member
So do you have any idea what I should do. Everything seems to work perfectly. I can transfer files between hard drives if I remote into the computer so I don't think it's an actual hard drive issue. I can also copy files off of the computer perfectly fine. I did move the swap file to one of the sata drives. What I'm thinking about doing is trying the 10/100 card that's built into the motherboard and see if it still crashes if I use that. If it doesn't then it has to be something to do with the gigabit nic or the fact that I'm using gigabit.

Well, I gotta ask this. Is this a legit copy of Win Server? Is it fully updated?

AdmnPower

VIP Member
It sure is lagit :) I got it through Microsoft Developer Network at my school. Yay for free legal copies. I just checked to see how up to date i was and it seems the only thing I didn't have was a deal for .net framework 3.5. Other than that everything is up to date. I'm going to test it out tonight and see if I can get it to crash. I enabled flow control on the gigabit nic as well as upped the buffer size on the receiving end to match the outgoing side. I'll report back what I find out later today.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It sure is lagit :) I got it through Microsoft Developer Network at my school. Yay for free legal copies. I just checked to see how up to date i was and it seems the only thing I didn't have was a deal for .net framework 3.5. Other than that everything is up to date. I'm going to test it out tonight and see if I can get it to crash. I enabled flow control on the gigabit nic as well as upped the buffer size on the receiving end to match the outgoing side. I'll report back what I find out later today.

Like I said earlier, your transfer rates can be as slow as 1k per a second, but that won't corrupt data or crash a server, unless you are shaping network traffic and packets are being dropped at a massive rate.

I would see if you can find any relevant logs in the event viewer, or whatever MS is calling their log viewer in server 08, as I haven't ever really fussed with it. The last windows server I touched was 2k3

AdmnPower

VIP Member
Ok, here's what i've found. I disconnected the gigabit nic and am now using the 10/100 built into the motherboard. Transfers are stable now and I'm without crash but they are also slow. Typically wire speed on 100 megabit connections yields around 10 - 11 megs a second and i'm only getting about 5.5 megs a second. I'm going to try replacing the cable to see if that fixes anything.