Windows shut down

soccerdude

I just have a quick question. Is it possible to cancel a windows shut down? An example would be lets say you have it on shut down and you want to put it to hibernate but since it was on shut down it will continue to shut down. Is it possible to cancel it and replace it with hibernate,restart,stand by, or log off? Or can you just cancel it and go back into windows and change it? And if you can how can you because I would like to know.

Thanks

PC eye

banned
Once you click on the shutdown the process clears all active processes and then simply shuts the system off unless configured for restarting or standby. Before clicking on the shutdown button you still have the option to click on the cancel to go back to the desktop.

PC eye

banned
Once you click on the shutdown option when that small window with the three options comes up you have executed a command for the system to shutdown. That immediately ends all running processes along with the essential "explorer.exe" file needed to run the Windows GUI(graphical user interface). Basically once that is done it can compared to pulling the ac cord out on any appliance. You are now powering down.

spike27z

(sorry to semi-hijack, but it's related any not worth it's own thread.)
anyway to set it to a sort of sleep mode? like, turn off at a set time?

I want to leave it running at night for some downloads, but my dad still thinks it's bad to leave it on..just wondering if there's a way to work out for both of us to be happy lol (set it to turn it off before he'd see..)

PC eye

banned
The power options in Control Panel determine if the system goes into a hibernation mode after a period of so many minutes. It's the same way with a screen saver that comes on after you walk for 5-10-15-20 minutes. The easy way to get there is to right click on the desktop and click on the screen saver tab. At the bottom right you click on the power button to set not only the monitor standby time of up to 5hrs. there but up to 5hrs. for the system and the hard drives as well.