Windows Update refuses to run or is damaged.

CaptainTrips

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 32bit SP1

I've been trying to run Windows Update but have run into a number of problems. After selecting Windows Update from the start menu, I get a white box on my screen for about 3 minutes before windows populates it with information about windows update - a red shield with an X, and the usual text. When I select "Check for updates" windows tells me that the windows update service is not running.

So using services.msc, I went in, found wuauserv and tried to start it, getting this error:

Windows could not start the wuauserv service on Local Computer. Error 193: 0xc1.

Then I also noticed that the description for wuauserv was "<Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 1006 > "

I did some googleing and eventually followed the proceedure here with no luck. Apparently "Error 193: 0xc1" and "<Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 1006 > " are both pretty ubiquitous with Microsoft programs, making hunting down a fix more difficult.

I also ran a full virus scan with MSE, and it came back clean.

Does anyone know what could have caused this to happen and how I can fix it? My computer is running fine otherwise, but I'd like to get that service back up and running. Thanks in advance.

strollin

I would have suggested to run the command "sfc /scannow" from a command prompt to check system files before uninstall/reinstall of SP1.

Glad to hear you got it working.

CaptainTrips

I would have suggested to run the command "sfc /scannow" from a command prompt to check system files before uninstall/reinstall of SP1.

Glad to hear you got it working.

I wish you had, I didn't know that such a thing existed. I do now though! Thanks.