Windows updating

Fure6

I have a bootleg of XP professional. Whenever i go to the website to update, when it checks system for whatever it checks for it says that it can't update and stuff...but when i do it with the automatic updates, it suposedly updates.

Whenever the update icon gets on my toolbar i update it with out caring about what the update is, but then i started to notice that it seemed like the same update. So the last time i updated, which was last week, i wrote down the update name and number. Now it says that it's going to download the same update as last week, does that mean that when i download it it stops or somthing?

my wording kind of sucks...sorry.

72montecarlo

Well it may be that you already have all the updates so far and for some reason it keeps trying to get the last one. I think i had a problem like this before cause my version is also bootleg. I finally found the Service Pack 1 installer so i could install it without going through microsoft. after i installed SP1 i started getting a lot more updates and now my version of windows is suposedly activated according to that program "msoobe". I assume if u can get the bootleg version of Xp Pro then you might also be able to get SP1.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldnt it be better off to slipstream the CD so that you dont have to do the updates manually?

Fure6

sorry praetor, can't understand the word "slipstream". Are you talking about getting the actual update CD that microsoft sends out?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You can integrate the SP1 (SP1a and most likely also the SP2) update into the actual WindowsXP (same goes for other versions of windows). What this effectively means is that when you goto install Windows, it installs WITH the SP1 already installed so you dont have to manually updated it afterwards. SLipstreaming is a more effective way of doing things :) Have a look at something like this http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814847

Fure6

I heard from a guy that i met on here, can't remember the name, that you don't need windows critical updates if you have a firewall...is that true?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I heard from a guy that I met on here, can't remember the name, that you don't need windows critical updates if you have a firewall...is that true?
In general not true.