Windows Vienna

jutnm

well, im not to syked about vienna coming out , i like the old way of how MS setsup their menu and all that , i like vista a whole lot , no probs, but if its for free ill take it

PC eye

banned
People are currently comparing Vista to the way things run in XP with the same games and softwares written for the 2000/XP arena. How well Vista turns out will depend on what is seen when the Vista based games and apps eventually start appearing. Vienna is only a passing thought and speculation at this point until that finally appears in at least a beta form. For the time being Vista is still only a secondary and still far from primary OS here.

Iluvpenguins

I've already phased Vista out of my life,i prefer Windows XP...but this vienna thing,if it is any good at all,is going to be a pain in the rear end because chances are it'll be a requirement in the future...by that time,microsoft will probably lose support for XP and we'll be almost forced to upgrade(+ with technology and programs and what not,it is most like inevitable) and we can expect it to come out at a hefty price...imagine the piracy!

PC eye

banned
Gee? Instead of $400 for Vista Ultimate would you see $600 for Vienna Wonderous? :eek: :p 9X-ME, 2K, XP all were seen for about $200. And you wonder why many want to try Linux? It's free!

Geoff

VIP Member
Gee? Instead of $400 for Vista Ultimate would you see $600 for Vienna Wonderous? :eek: :p 9X-ME, 2K, XP all were seen for about $200. And you wonder why many want to try Linux? It's free!

Hopefully there wont be as many choices. I mean, consumers have a total of 8 different OS's to choose from for Vista! It used to be just one with 95, 98, etc. Then it went to 2 with XP (they released two more later though).

macnoob

Microsoft claims Vienna will be released in 2009 but you know how long it was between XP and Vista. Vienna is suppost to have a different file system, it will probably be what Vista was suppost to be to start with.

aye its not like its really will be done in just 2 years ther are still some xp bugs. it will most likely be a fixed vista with more pretty images etc except this time you wont have to turn them off to run your computer

macnoob

how much does lepoard cost for mac? (its either lepoard jaguar or panther, i can never remember which)the new versin, can you even buy it or does it just come on the computers mac puts out

tlarkin

VIP Member
how much does lepoard cost for mac? (its either lepoard jaguar or panther, i can never remember which)the new versin, can you even buy it or does it just come on the computers mac puts out

Leopard is the new OS and it will be $120USD.

MS did the same thing with windows ME to compete with OS 9. I can see them releasing Vista just to compete with Leopard. Since Windows Xp release in 2002 Apple has released three major updates to their OS.

Most likely vista is a buggy release of vienna and once they iron out the bugs and tweak the user interface then they will release it. I can see this being released in two years.

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-];678076 said:
Hopefully there wont be as many choices. I mean, consumers have a total of 8 different OS's to choose from for Vista! It used to be just one with 95, 98, etc. Then it went to 2 with XP (they released two more later though).

The older versions had some second releases. 95 was followed by 95 PLUS! just the way you would see that on the splash screen. That was released with the OSR2 service pack for 32bit support after that came out separately for the original release. Without that 95 would have been left a 16bit followup of 3.1. 98 had it's 2nd edition.

ME flopped too fast forcing XP to come out sooner then it would have. That's the one that saw the initial release and then fell flat. By tthen ME realized the move from Fat was long overdue and put out the two versions of 2000 with the NT kernel in mind for XP too. But people were upgrading from Fat and needed what? XP to install onto Fat as part of the upgrade process for the 9X-ME crowd while still being native to NTFS.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Most likely vista is a buggy release of vienna and once they iron out the bugs and tweak the user interface then they will release it. I can see this being released in two years.

I bet they will give it a new file system, lose the task bar and give it a 3D room style desktop on pop Vienna on the box

hahahahaha, man if I had a dime...

If you can use OS X you can use windows they practically run the same, and also its Mac not MAC. MAC in syntax (all caps) is referring to a hardware encoded address that is embedded in your NIC. Even though both OSes are about the same (ie control panels versus system preferences) I would have to say OS X is more intuitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Actually Apple made the very first home pc. IBM and other alike companies were like why in hell would anyone want a computer at home? Apple made the very first home pc. It was called the Lisa.

Easy for you to say, I have worked with Mac and became lost.

PC eye

banned
Having worked for one of the previous largest pc manufacturers back in the 80s I know the sentiment and the cost one company faced when later refusing to sell systems for home users. Their old line thinking ended up with them selling out. You think Apple/Mac is hard to learn? Try having to learn Fortran and other things to manually write programs in those days.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Easy for you to say, I have worked with Mac and became lost.

Okay, yes sure, I even get confused when working on one platform for many hours then switching. However, it wouldn't take you any longer than a few days to a week to know your way around the OS. My point is, they are so similar you can't say that its impossible to not learn them.

PC eye

banned
Linux is usually the one that takes more effort to learn your way around as well as other OSs like Solaris based on the UNIX platform there. The main guis for MS and Mac are geared more for the less pc literate so that even students can run the systems.