Windows Vienna

mrpiddly

vista's service pack is called Figi, supposedly. It will come out along side Windows Server 2008.

Windows Vienna was anounced in 2000! It has already been delayed 7 years and more delays look like they are on the way.

In Vienna they will likly illiminate the whole "START" menu UI.

"Vienna" will also feature the sandboxed approach discussed during the Alpha/White Box development phase for Longhorn. All non-managed code will run in a sandboxed environment where access to the "outside world" is restricted by the operating system. Access to raw sockets will be disabled from within the sandbox, as will direct access to the file system, hardware abstraction layer (HAL), and complete memory addressing.[citation needed] All access to outside applications, files, and protocols will be regulated by the operating system, and any malicious activity will be halted immediately.[citation needed] If this approach is successful, it bodes very well for security and safety, as it is virtually impossible for a malicious application to cause any damage to the system if it is locked inside a metaphorical 'glass box.' As well, this sand boxed environment will be able to adapt itself to the code base it was written for. This will alleviate most problems that arise from back compatibility when a new operating system is made.
Another feature mentioned by Bill Gates is "a pervasive typing line that will recognize the sentence that [the user is] typing in." The implications of this could be as simple as a "complete as you type" function as found in most modern search engines, (e.g. Google Suggest), ENSO, or as complex as being able to give verbal commands to the PC without any concern for syntax.[5] The former has been incorporated to an extent in Windows Vista.

Some basicaly they are setting it up to fail in my mind. I dont want it to complete my sentances and i certainly dont want the horrific text to speach of vista. And a sandbox enviroment? A user will go to install a new program and they will be blocked by the OS.

From this Vienna, like vista, seems like it is only promissing a new UI with the addition of features that will make the OS difficult to use.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
When Vista first came out the question posed was would it turn out to be another MS flop like ME. XP came out fast to cover that goof up in 2001. Due to the rush there to incorporate 2000 into a new home user friendly version you ended waiting for two large service packs to correct the initial problems.

There are three main items now seen in Vista MS included to promote their concept of customer satifaction? The first is the inclusion of the Media Center carried on from the 2005 release of XP MCE. The second now seen is the replacement of the recovery console for manual repair with a new automatic startup repair tool mixed in with a few other things like now being able to shrink or grow drive partitions. The 2nd of course is seen when booting with the installation disk.

The third seen as a boot option besides the now seen option for previous versions of Windows is the option to run memtest seen on the first splash screen. And people wonder why Vista chews up a little more memory with a list of things added to the startip?

vista's service pack is called Figi, supposedly. It will come out along side Windows Server 2008.

Windows Vienna was anounced in 2000! It has already been delayed 7 years and more delays look like they are on the way.

In Vienna they will likly illiminate the whole "START" menu UI.

Some basicaly they are setting it up to fail in my mind. I dont want it to complete my sentances and i certainly dont want the horrific text to speach of vista. And a sandbox enviroment? A user will go to install a new program and they will be blocked by the OS.

From this Vienna, like vista, seems like it is only promissing a new UI with the addition of features that will make the OS difficult to use.

What is that gonna look like? I have networking buds and they do not like the pretty interface, why do the server OS' need the nice interface, a server is usually shoved in the back room of a building.

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];675726 said:
I hope thats not the case. Thats the main reason why I prefer Windows over Mac's, because of the start menu, haha

:D Actually, that's one of the reasons I prefer Mac over Windows. :D lol

eric92park

Windows ME, sucked like crap when it first came out(Lost of people bought it still -.-), too many glitches and it was unstable OS... Now MS is doing the same thing again to make their buisness running:p

PC eye

banned
Sorry even with XP and finding a way for Vista as well I just can't resist a "classic Windows" type desktop without the sidebar clutter and aero styles.

Yeah, I like the Stainless Steel look, I am not a Mac user, I don't care for them. I do no graphix work and I am computer literate, so I use Windows. Is there any specific reasion you use mac? Mainly I view mac as being an easier interface and for artwork.

jutnm

i think MAC is for users who dont know how to use Microsoft OS, and want to do graphic arts, it is easy but i prefer Vista

PC eye

banned
The original main base for Apple/Mac was seen in schools and businesses while eventually moving into the home market for personal pcs. For the longest time they lagged behind MS in the available software area since software companies enticed Windows users more. Look at the large volume of pc games geared for the different versions of Windows to see that.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah, I like the Stainless Steel look, I am not a Mac user, I don't care for them. I do no graphix work and I am computer literate, so I use Windows. Is there any specific reasion you use mac? Mainly I view mac as being an easier interface and for artwork.

hahahahaha, man if I had a dime...

i think MAC is for users who dont know how to use Microsoft OS, and want to do graphic arts, it is easy but i prefer Vista

If you can use OS X you can use windows they practically run the same, and also its Mac not MAC. MAC in syntax (all caps) is referring to a hardware encoded address that is embedded in your NIC. Even though both OSes are about the same (ie control panels versus system preferences) I would have to say OS X is more intuitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

The original main base for Apple/Mac was seen in schools and businesses while eventually moving into the home market for personal pcs. For the longest time they lagged behind MS in the available software area since software companies enticed Windows users more. Look at the large volume of pc games geared for the different versions of Windows to see that.

Actually Apple made the very first home pc. IBM and other alike companies were like why in hell would anyone want a computer at home? Apple made the very first home pc. It was called the Lisa.

PC eye

banned
Actually Apple made the very first home pc. IBM and other alike companies were like why in hell would anyone want a computer at home? Apple made the very first home pc. It was called the Lisa.

Don't forget the Commodore 64 as well seen in those days. :p That's how Steve Jobs made out big time there when seeing those. The actual first pc you could use at home however wasn't a desktop but a notebook made by Epson in 1982. Those were the HX-20s that even had a few simple games you could load from preloadable microcasstte tapes. That was part of the so called software package included even while the Apple was seen in home a few years earlier. Take a look. http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/hx20/

Geoff

VIP Member
I can see Vienna coming out on time (roughly), and them looking back on Vista and see how horrible of an OS it was. Probably the only thing good it offers is DX10 support.

Alright people lets get back on the subject of OS=Operating Systems not OS=Ovebbaked Savorytreats. :p

well i think it's fair to say that VISTA is to XP what ME was to 2000PRO inferior in more ways than one !!

lets hope it skips a generation with VIENNA shall we.