Windows Vista...desktop is HUGE!!

fej180

Its been a while since I posted here but hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I am working on my grandmothers computer and somehow everything went supersize. I tried to google and look for answers but everyone is just saying to adjust the screen resolution. From what I can tell the resolution is set at 1400x900 which is what its supposed to be. The problem I have is that everything is so big that I cant even see the settings to adjust them. I have posted some pictures to help describe it.

This is a 19" monitor. I blacked out the faces so don't mind that. You can see the background image is a normal size, but the task bar is really huge.
20140921_194101.jpg

When I right click on the desktop you can see how big the menu is.
20140921_194110.jpg

When I click the "Graphics Options" it takes me where it should, but I cant see enough of the screen to actually do anything.
20140921_194135.jpg

I can get to the option to change the resolution and you can see its on 14 something. I assume its 1400x900. I can select the other ones but I cant get the screen to scroll down so I can click save or anything.
20140921_194152.jpg

The start menu takes up more than the full screen...
20140921_194122.jpg

To me it seems like its zoomed in or something. I don't know what happened but I don't think its related to the resolution. Any recommendations that can help get this to a normal size would be appreciated. Thanks

Fej180

The zoom thing could be turned on, press ctrl + alt + del and look for it in the task manager, then once you find it end its task. If that's not it it's probably the text size set to something really big in the display settings, I don't quite remember how to fix that on vista but I'm sure someone on this forum will.

Last edited:
I will check that out. Unfortunately their computer is over at my parents and I won't be back over to visit until tomorrow night but I will try that.

Thanks

what happens on your browser?if its the same then i would look at what your screen resolution is at.

Have you tried adjusting the resolution? Also try either holding Ctrl, alt, or shift and scroll in and out with the Middle mouse wheel it may be zoomed too far in.

Back