Windows Vista Home Basic and my disappearing HDD space

Euklid

Hi,

My laptop messed up, so I ran a fresh install of Vista. After install I had about 64GB free on my 75GB hard-disk.

I installed a few programs which left me at about 60GB. But since then, I haven't installed anything, and my hard-disk keeps reporting less and less free space. It's down to 52GB now. The only thing running is Windows Update. It seems every time Windows Update runs, another GB disappears.

Do you know what's going? I can only think of System Backup.

Thanks,
Marcin

3uL

Don't worry. Its windows cache. After sometimes, it will revert to original. You can also manually delete the cache.

kookooshortman55

I was running Defraggler and the built in defragmenter about once a week. Every time I would lose about 30GB. If you want a temporary solution, go into disk cleanup and in the "More Options" tab clean up the System Restore and Shadow Copies. If you want a permanent solution disable System Restore, like everyone else said.

EDIT: The disappearing hard drive space is caused by Vista creating a new restore point every time you run the system update. Using the disk cleanup as stated above should solve the problem, again temporarily, until the computer creates another system restore point.