Windows Vista or Windows XP

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
well if i was purchasing a new pc i would get vista.

its not as bad as most people make it out to be.

EDIT:How many cool dudes are there in this forum lol

PC eye

banned
Gee? Don't we first get to Welcome to the Computer Forum! a new CoolDude before bringing that up? http://www.computerforum.com/70672-official-welcome-thread.html :p And just a reminder given to all new members to review the http://www.computerforum.com/52038-forum-rules.html

Vista while being set as the default booting OS here while multibooting two versions of XP is still the new MS kid on the block. At this "early stage" you won't find many softwares and especially the best working drivers out quite yet. But it does offer some rather long overdue featurs like an option to repair the OS if any startup problems come up and now includes memtest for stress testing the memory installed to see if any faults are found.

Many are more interested in the new visual Areo style while here the object is to get familiar with how this new version works. XP on the other hand has it's SP2 out along with the large number of MS fixes found in updates. And the programs are far more readily available since the initial release in 2001. At this time you won't find any good problem solvers if problems come up. Not even Microsoft has any number of support articles to look over. XP has plenty of those however. Regardless of which one you decided on make siure any new softwares you buy are Vista ready since many older XP programs are..?

elitehacker

I would say Vista is better if you hardware can support it, if you have a computer that is below the recommended specs, then go with XP.

PC eye

banned
The only problems besides software not being compatible at times with the Vsta Home Premium version was the initial beta drivers released for sound and the non-Vista dsl driver seeing BSODs. I see a regular memory dump when going to shutdown the system from Vista due to the ISP having gone wireless on the newer dsl setups. They no longer provide driver updates. Other then that it has run just as stable as XP until the next bug turns up?

jbrown456

If you're buying a new computer with vista on it, it's worth it to use it, but if you already have xp, and want to upgrade to vista, now isn't really a good time to do it in my opinion.

Vista really isn't as bad as people say, I ran it on a Pentium D 930 with 1Gb of RAM, and it had all of the "extra-pretties" turned on. It ran just like XP, no more, no less. People that upgrade their PC's to Vista most of the time have not the slightest clue about what they are doing.

jbrown456

Vista really isn't as bad as people say, I ran it on a Pentium D 930 with 1Gb of RAM, and it had all of the "extra-pretties" turned on. It ran just like XP, no more, no less. People that upgrade their PC's to Vista most of the time have not the slightest clue about what they are doing.

Yupp :) lol, my friend got Vista home premium, and i didn't find it bad at all. It actually looked pretty cool.. Im not in any hurry to upgrade tho.. I would still use 98 if it was on my computer.

PC eye

banned
Yupp :) lol, my friend got Vista home premium, and i didn't find it bad at all. It actually looked pretty cool.. Im not in any hurry to upgrade tho.. I would still use 98 if it was on my computer.

I would probably have 98 along with XP and Vista over two versions of XP if the board now installed saw 98 drivers available. But never count on that at this late date! :p I could at least get some rather interesting screen captures from some of those old dos games then!

I've had older PC ppl, try to argue with me that 98 is the best OS that Windows made. In my terms 2000 is right on the money, I am comfortable with XP and I don't plan on upgrading until SP2 of Vista, if it happens, just being cautious. This was Vista Ultimate and he is a multimedia freak with 10000 songs on his PC and a boatload of movies, he has all kinds of gadgets for better functionality. I thought it was cool, he also edits movies and he said Vista ran some editor program better than XP, Adobe released PS CS3 because of Vista, it must be pushing some type of movement.

PC eye

banned
You will surprised to learn that Microsoft has no plans on releasing any large service packs like they did with XP and other versions of Windows. A weekly schedule on one day of the week will see a new securoty fix or Windows Defender update come out. They won't having a newer Vista disk with an SP1 or SP2 included. You now simply download "all" updates when either you first put Vista on or later have to reinstall it. download,,,reboot...download,,,reboot...download,,, reboot...download...reboot... :rolleyes:

double b26

no expert here, but i was talking with a guy the other day that had installed vista on his pc. i dont know if he messed something up or what, but he told me that it wiped out all of his drivers. so if you are going to go through with it, id back up the important stuff before you start.

ETSA

Vista is an improvement but as of now expect some incompatibility with most software, although I have had no problems with games.

PC eye

banned
no expert here, but i was talking with a guy the other day that had installed vista on his pc. i dont know if he messed something up or what, but he told me that it wiped out all of his drivers. so if you are going to go through with it, id back up the important stuff before you start.

What Vista does when first going on is save the exiting Windows installation folders(Windows, DocumentsandSettings, Program Files) into a renamed folder called Windows.old. As far as losing drivers just reinstalling XP will require reinstalling all drivers and programs as well.

Vista is an improvement but as of now expect some incompatibility with most software, although I have had no problems with games.

That will depend on the games you try installing on Vista. Some old "goodies" right on here while one found so far runs well but...? after the opening videos where the characters all appear normal in the original textures the villians you later blast away will be nothing but green outlines. That was found in the first version of Soldier of Fortune Platinum edition. But that came out about 7yrs. ago now.

The 2001 sequel SoF II: Double Helix GOLD has been running good. Return to CastleWolfenstein, Duke Nukem Mahattan Project, HL, HL2, Prey, Fear, Fear Expansion, and others run well. In fact DOSBox even sees the original 8bit Duke Nukem and Nukem2 run. http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dukebigproblemeb2.jpg

elitehacker

Vista's compatibility issues are more or less ironed out, however old hardware that does not have vista support will be the reason why people are sticking with XP.

elitehacker

I like vista because it has DX10 because I'm a gamer, if there was going to be DX10 for XP I would use that instead of Vista anyday.